David Bowie - An Icon Passes

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

David Bowie - An Icon Passes

Post by jww »

While I am always interested how media and reactions roll in regarding the death of celebrities, I was still saddened to hear the passing of this music icon. You may or may not agree with his music, lifestyle, whatever, but there is no denying his influence on music and style over the past 3 or 4 decades.

I was personally quite impressed how his cancer was kept quiet, allowing him to pass away out of the limelight so-to-speak.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Re: David Bowie - An Icon Passes

Post by Rufus »

He was a genius who had the remarkable ability to re-create himself time and again. Notwithstanding his celebrity status, he was a very private person and I doubt we, the public, knew the real David Jones.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I admit I never paid much attention. Yesterday they played several of his more popular songs, and I was surprised to learn that he had been the singer. I have to admit he was pretty good.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My son made a point about the gentleman's passing and I commented that I wasn't surprised as he would be about 80 by now. No Dad, he was your age, OK I said, outlived another one.

I'm not a follower of celebrities, just frankly not interested in how somebody else lives their life. For years I've maintained one could be up on current celebrity culture by simply reading the headlines of the tabloids while waiting in line at the grocery store.

I do believe he was underrated as an actor though, as his performance in several movies proved his skill.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

date + david bowie song = kiss!!! Well it worked that way for me anyway :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Apparently the guy who played Bruce Willis's enemy terrorist in Die Hard died yesterday at age 69 too. I think I heard them say his last name was Rickman?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:My son made a point about the gentleman's passing and I commented that I wasn't surprised as he would be about 80 by now. No Dad, he was your age, OK I said, outlived another one.

I'm not a follower of celebrities, just frankly not interested in how somebody else lives their life. For years I've maintained one could be up on current celebrity culture by simply reading the headlines of the tabloids while waiting in line at the grocery store.

I do believe he was underrated as an actor though, as his performance in several movies proved his skill.
I have an agreement with all of the celebrities, they don't give a S**t about me or my family, and I, in turn, don't pay any attention to them or theirs. Works out great. I think there probably were a lot of really kind, humble, dearly beloved hardworking folks who also died, and they didn't need the Today show or national news to pretend to weep and wail over it. Fair's fair. Celebrit"ies" wouldn't be that without the celebrit"ors" who pretend to care about their everyday crap.
Gary

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

RIP, Major Tom. What a loss.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Yup --- Alan Rickman also played Snape in the Harry Potter movies,as well as some other films for which he received critical acclaim.

And I agree with Squire on Bowie's acting abilities --- he played the great Tesla in The Prestige to perfection, among other roles. And of course, who but Bowie could be in The Labyrinth?

I watched the Lazarus video a couple of times, and while it isn't my taste musically (not everything Bowie did was to everyone's taste), I get the ingenuity in it.

I have the DVD from the A Reality Tour a concert he did in Dublin in 03 and never tire of watching/listening to it.

His best stage presentation was probably the performance of Under Pressure with Annie Lennox for a Freddie Mercury tribute concert held at Wembley in 1992. Classic.

https://youtu.be/ildVYgYWPqc

And here's a cut from the practice session .... https://youtu.be/0VLS-P9m0BM
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Alan Rickman died? Damn.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Alan Rickman died? Damn.
I am sorry to say, yes.

Best quote regarding Harry Potter came from Rickman some time ago.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter. And my family will say to me 'After all this time?' And I will say 'Always.'
Wendell

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

jww wrote:. . . And I agree with Squire on Bowie's acting abilities . . .

His best stage presentation was probably the performance of Under Pressure with Annie Lennox for a Freddie Mercury tribute concert held at Wembley in 1992. Classic. . .
. . . And here's a cut from the practice session .... https://youtu.be/0VLS-P9m0BM
Oh, yeah. That Vanilla Ice song. KIdding! I'd seen the concert footage but never the practice session. Marvelous!
As for Bowie's acting, his small role in John Landis' "Into The Night" is one I remember well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5aifxF4kTc
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

I just watched David Gilmour and David Bowie performing Comfortably Numb. Amazing performance and Gilmour's artistry on the guitar is unsurpassed.
Gary