Need help with GMail

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Need help with GMail

Post by Sam »

When I click to open an attachment that is coming in Microsoft Word, it opens up as a Notepad file and is garbled. I can open it with Google Drive but I need to save it in my computer and not in the cloud

1) What do I need to do to be able to open it with my Open Office program and modify it as I used to

or

2) What can i do to transfer the document from Google Drive into my Open Office program so I can modify it and save it on my computer
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Need help with GMail

Post by jww »

Sam, I presume you are in Windows as an operating system. I don't believe that this is a Gmail thing, but rather related to your OS default settings.

You can set the file opening default parameters by secondary-mouse clicking on the file you want to open, select "Open With", then select MS Word. It should give you a dialogue box that asks if you want this as the default, select yes, and you should be good going forward.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I am reading it may be Chrome. I used to be able to click the attachment, it would show up on the bottom as a download and then open it with Open Office (a free share program that emulates Microsoft Word). Now it opens in Wordpad. tried to change defaults. I can now at least go to my Open Office program, and then select the downloads file and open it that way. A bit of a workaround, so I have access but it sure saved a few seconds beforehand
giammi

Post by giammi »

Maybe in the protocol handler settings of chrome? Try to enter chrome://settings/handlers in the address bar of Chrome.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio