LL Bean shoppers (looking at you, Wendell)

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
maskaggs

LL Bean shoppers (looking at you, Wendell)

Post by maskaggs »

Over the holidays I ended up with a combination of gift cards and returned merchandise to LL Bean - not because I didn't want it, but for size reasons. I've got a fair amount to spend there now but I'm coming up against just about everything I'd actually want being backordered into spring. Has anyone else run into this? Is this typical for the first post-holiday quarter, or is something else afoot?
Regards,
Mike
ShadowsDad

Re: LL Bean shoppers (looking at you, Wendell)

Post by ShadowsDad »

LLBean does a heck of a business over the holidays and it could be that they're sold out on lots of stuff. If it's Bean boots you're after I remember hearing on our local news that they'd be backordered for months.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

run into the back-order issue myself .....live and learn :)

btw, as an aside, the linens are absolutely amazing.......if you have some spare cash leftover, some sheets and pillowcases are definitely worth considering

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Clive, if they were Bean boots there is a reason for the backorder. As much as I dislike the way Bean does business today I have to give them credit for making them here in Maine the same way they were made 100(?) years ago. To make them right they can't be farmed out and Bean doesn't do that.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

ShadowsDad wrote:LLBean does a heck of a business over the holidays and it could be that they're sold out on lots of stuff. If it's Bean boots you're after I remember hearing on our local news that they'd be backordered for months.
No, I went through that last year - needed a pair of boots pronto but apparently they'd become all the rage in the 14-20 y.o. female demographic (?). Not a pair to be found anywhere. This time around it's various other shoes / boots, coats, miscellaneous clothing.

And we've got some of the sheets, BTW - two sets, in fact. They're fantastic.
Regards,
Mike
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

As is the case with other retailers, I suspect Bean is having to scramble a bit in a tough retail environment. I've been a loyal customer of Bean for over 20 years and in the last year I've noticed an increase in sales and coupon offerings. Perhaps their apparent low stock situation at the moment is a reflection of this and possibly their slimming down their inventory to keep carrying costs down. Clive, thanks for the heads up on their bed linen; it's just about the only product line I haven't tried...so far. Bean remains my first choice when it comes to shirts, trousers, shorts and outerwear. Unfortunately, I have a very difficult foot to fit so I have had less success in purchasing their footwear.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Bryan, if you happen to be in the Freeport area of Maine, and that's easy to do since there is only one good N/S road and it parallels Rt1 which is where LLBean is (easy on/off), stop in, Even if it's at 0300 on Christmas Day they'll be open. They've only closed a handful of times in the past millennium. When I gave Bean my business I actually preferred shopping then. The store in uncrowded and there's absolutely no problem getting sales help.
Brian

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

ShadowsDad wrote:Bryan, if you happen to be in the Freeport area of Maine, and that's easy to do since there is only one good N/S road and it parallels Rt1 which is where LLBean is (easy on/off), stop in, Even if it's at 0300 on Christmas Day they'll be open. They've only closed a handful of times in the past millennium. When I gave Bean my business I actually preferred shopping then. The store in uncrowded and there's absolutely no problem getting sales help.
One of these days I'll make it there. Also, I've wanted to attend their fly fishing school.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

They didn't keep lots of stock post-Christmas this year at all. Normally, their sales are full of size variety, etc., but not this year, it seems. I even found stock at the Freeport store last fall to be somewhat lacking in sizes for typical items such as sweaters, dress chinos, etc. The Freeport Outlet, on the other hand, had lots and lots of variety ---- go figure.

A trip to the Freeport store is de rigueur imo.

We won't be doing much shopping there this year ..... With the current exchange rate on Canadian $$, it's actually much cheaper for us to go to the UK -- which we are seriously considering again for this fall ..... What am I saying -- my wife is already there ... I just need to secure a new contract and we'll book the flights, is my guess/expectation.

Still love Bean though ------ The boots have become ridiculously all the rage ... it drives me nuts seeing them all over Uni campuses --- all for style. They are, btw, the best winter boots I have ever owned, and I wouldn't have anything else on my feet this time of year.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:
Still love Bean though ------ The boots have become ridiculously all the rage ... it drives me nuts seeing them all over Uni campuses --- all for style. They are, btw, the best winter boots I have ever owned, and I wouldn't have anything else on my feet this time of year.
Wendell, which boots do you have? I have cold feet and am always on the look out for something really warm. Currently I have a pair of Pajar boots (made in Canada) with sheepskin lining; they are warm, but they're getting to the point where I'll need another pair.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:
jww wrote:
Wendell, which boots do you have? I have cold feet and am always on the look out for something really warm. Currently I have a pair of Pajar boots (made in Canada) with sheepskin lining; they are warm, but they're getting to the point where I'll need another pair.
I have a pair of the classic Bean Boots. Mine are Thinsulate and GoreTex lined. Constantly dry regardless of the weather, and great for warmth with a pair of bean boot socks. My wife and daughter own the shearling lined women's boots in the dark brown and they say they are toasty warm as well.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Wendell, thank you.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:Wendell, thank you.
You are welcome. I purchased mine from the Freeport Outlet store for less than $100US at a time when the exchange rate was close to par. If you buy from the retail store or online, you are going to pay a bomb with exchange rates at the moment. At least once a quarter they do a big run and stock up an outlet with overages. There isn't really any rhyme nor reason to it. They are incredible, though.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:
Rufus wrote:Wendell, thank you.
You are welcome. I purchased mine from the Freeport Outlet store for less than $100US at a time when the exchange rate was close to par. If you buy from the retail store or online, you are going to pay a bomb with exchange rates at the moment. At least once a quarter they do a big run and stock up an outlet with overages. There isn't really any rhyme nor reason to it. They are incredible, though.
There's a regular Bean store in Victor, NY, which is about a 2.5 hour drive from us. Although it's not an outlet store I might just pay it a visit, notwithstanding the exchange rate beating.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Yup -- we have been to the Victor store many times as well. There is also one in Syracuse -- it used to be an outlet, but they turned it into a retail store about a year and a half ago. Other than the flagship store, Bean retail stores tend to only stock their most popular products. You won't get Bean boots there cheap -- they'll be full-on retail price as you see in the catalogues or online.

Nevertheless, nothing like shopping at Bean .... they still kill at customer service regardless of the exchange rate.
Wendell

wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

One thought: order winter stuff now on sale, and f you don't like it in a year, you can return it (again, I know).

The past few years they have been running with more and more items coming up as "back ordered" when the season isn't over yet. *shrug* Now I just order as soon as I see something that I know I want.

The merino wool base layer shirts are great for weekends; yesterday I spent an entire day outdoors in a Rugged Parka that I got this year. I still love L.L. Bean, bless 'em, so if you don't want your credits, send them to me!!! :7)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Code: Select all

so if you don't want your credits, send them to me!!! :7)
Really, really nice to see you out about. Hoping you stop by more often
clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

We have taken stuff back to Bean several years after purchasing. We have an enormous (and I do mean enormous) file where my wife keeps all our receipts so if we do need to return something, we not only get the price we paid, but also the tax as after 2 years, they can't refund you the Maine state tax .... however small it is.

Having said this, we have had more than one experience where we haven't had the receipt and they have insisted on giving us back full-price, even though we might have purchased it at an outlet or on sale. Gotta love Bean!!
Wendell