Mukluks

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
wenestvedt

Mukluks

Post by wenestvedt »

A couple of weeks ago, I finally bought something I have wanted for years: mukluks!

They are handmade in Ely, Minnesota, the far north; the company is Steger Mukluks. They are made of moose hide, with canvas running up to my knee. Long moosehide lashes are wrapped around my calves to snug them down.

My wife asked me not to wear them when I am with her and the kids. Far from being offended, I laughed out loud. Who cares what other people think -- these bad boys are rated to twenty below! Yesterday I manned a station at the local Boy Scout Klondike Derby, and six hours of standing around in my mukluks at about 7F, I was comfy and stylish. I couldn't be happier with them. :7)

I bought the tall "Arctic" model, if you want to see them:
http://www.mukluks.com/Arctic-with-Ribb ... fo/AR%2DR/
CMur12

Re: Mukluks

Post by CMur12 »

Those look pretty neat, Will. Unfortunately, if they don't offer a narrow width they won't work for me. :(

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I like 'em!

The problem I have with mukluks isn't with the mukluk so much as the changeable Maine weather. They are great if the weather remains below freezing, but get some melting and they don't work for me. I have a pair of military canvas mukluks that I used to wear when stargazing and they worked fine for that. They always kept my feet toasty warm, and stargazing isn't known for exercise to keep the blood warmed and flowing. But once water hit them they didn't do much.

Mickey Mouse boots also work, and will keep water out, but just try walking in them for any length of time. They're a great workout though. After a day of wearing Mickeys the foot is drenched and steams as the boot comes off.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

I agree: you really need two different kinds of boots: waterproof *or* warm.

I put silicone sealant on the leather parts of these mukluks, and they will have to be saved for temps under freezing (when I can brush off snow before it melts). Still, I love them. :7)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The heck with what others say, yes, they're very nice. Wear them.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Very nice indeed and quite reasonably priced...and they're not made in China. I'd love a pair for snowshoeing.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

That's the other use I put mine to Rufus.
Brian

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

So nice.

Like Brian, our wet weather calls for something a bit more pervious to the freezing rain and wet snow we always have. Thus, I own Bean Boots (see our other threads on this topic). Mukluks are boss, though.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?