Opinions on small SUV's?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Opinions on small SUV's?

Post by Sam »

Thinking of getting a small SUV. Fiancee has a Honda Civic and I am thinking a small SUV would help out with us and as we are embarking on a new house, help keep costs down. I don't think that I would really need a bigger SUV (think Toyota Sequoia or Highlander or Honda Pilot) but am considering these:

Mazda CX-5
Honda CR-V
Royota Rav4
Mistubishi Outlander
Kia Sportage
Hyundai Tusdcon

All but the Honda an Toyota have 5 year, 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranties, the Honda and Toyouta have 3 year, 36,000 mile. However, I don't see that as a big concern given the reliability of Honda and Toyota. Locally, the Mistubishi dealer has a $2500 rebate.

I tend to like the inside of the Rav$ best and Honda on the Ex line seems to give more options as standard. Want a sunroof and bigger radio screen, but I can bluetooth a naviation aid like Google maps rather than have to have the nav system. Used to leather seats but cloths is fine by me and many cloth seats now have heated seats, nice but not a deal breaker. I would get all my windows tinted as I like it and prefer a darker interior than a white, light grey or beige one.

So any advice or experiences you care to share?
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Opinions on small SUV's?

Post by jww »

We have owned Hyundai vehicles for nearly 10 years now. Never an issue -- very reliable. Currently I have a 09 Santa Fe. The new Tuscon is an outstanding package ..... and has been getting tops reviews over and above traditional favourites Honda and Toyota.

The CX5 is the most enjoyable drive by far.

Kia is releasing a new version of the Sportage imminently, and as usual packs Korean value with European styling and driving manners.

An obvious omission in my view is a Subaru. The Forrester would fit into this category as well.

The CR-V hovers as the best in reviews, but Honda's "legendary" reliability of their recent models is a bit more suspect than one would expect. The Rav4 is not bad either.

I recommend that you get onto YouTube and check out Alex on Autos. He does what I think are the best YouTube reviews on cars. They are detailed, in depth and very intelligent. He recently did the Rav4.

If it's only just the two of you, you may also want to consider some of the new CUV models --- like the HRV, Renegade (my current favourite of the bunch) and the Subie Crosstek (the favourite amongst buyers as Subaru reportedly owns customer loyalty outright with the most return buyers of any make).
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

My preference would be either the Toyota RAV4 or the Subaru Crosstek or Forrester; I'm particularly drawn to Subies because of their expertise in all-wheel drive and overall quality, and their near "cultish" following. Hyundai looks promising though. I don't like Honda products in general as I find the cabin noise very annoying. Mitsubishi aren't widely available in Canada so I've never looked at their products.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sam I apologize if I missed an earlier post mentioning a fiancee so a belated congratulations.

SUVs have come a long way and the ones the kids are driving seem to me to be more like cars with added storage space. If I were choosing one today my decision would be based on what type driving would be the most used. Stop and go urban I want quick and maneuverable, distance trips comfort.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ended up with the CRV EX-L edition. Subaaru was a good choice, but I got a good deal, not great, and my tradein just today threw up a sservice engine soon light (fuel injectors went bad. Old one had 6, but code showed three needed replacing in December, and now the other 3 went out, so I avoided a $1700 repair and then brakes were coming due, another $800, so I avoided $2500 out of pocket)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Sam I apologize if I missed an earlier post mentioning a fiancee so a belated congratulations.
Yes, nine thumbs up to that

clive

p.s. wishing you lots of safe free miles....have you guys kissed in it yet????? :P :P :D :D :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Clive, Squie, thank you for the felicitations. I have been dating this woman about 2 and 1/2 years. Really supportive, not demanding, pretty, engaging. I had a nice convertible and it seems that eight years old, 118,000 miles, it was starting to have many issues. A performance car, so tires, brakes, more expensive than a normal car. Sure, it handled well, but brake jobs are about $700 and it was due sometime this sommer, tires by the end of the year. Can;t rotate them as the front and back are different sizes. So something a little more practical was in order and with us wanting to get a new house, well, needed to hold down the expense. I was told by some to look at a Toyota 4Runner and I would have, but that would be too big a car. They countered, what about going hiking, or pulling a boat. Haven't done that in years. My miles are on the highway to get to work or typical city driving or going put of town.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Best wishes on your engagement Sam. =D>

Your choice of a new vehicle appears to be a very good one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Best wishes, Sam. Lots of good options in the small SUV space. The Koreans are making some great vehicles. I think the Subarus require a lifetime Sierra Club membership.
Jim
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Nothing wrong with a CRV!

I would have also suggested the Subaru, mostly because of a friends experience.

His Subaru died in the middle of running some errands with his mother last winter, so he called a tow truck. He had to wait about 1/2hr before the tow truck showed up. Driver gets out, looks at his SUV and states "We don't tow Subaru".

My friend, now quite cold, and his mother in the car as well, says "What do you mean you don't tow Subaru"? The driver once again stated that they don't tow Subaru, but then added that it wasn't that he was refusing to tow the vehicle, it's just that he has never had to! He took a quick look under the hood, fixed a loose battery clamp and the the Subaru started right up and all was well. :mrgreen:

All that said, the CRV is in the same league... great choice!

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

That is some story Christian....thanks for sharing. My partner looked at the Subaru, opted for a bmw and has regretted it ever since. I have an odyssey and would buy one again on a heartbeat,,,,,,honda manages to make excellent product year in and year out
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote:That is some story Christian....thanks for sharing. My partner looked at the Subaru, opted for a bmw and has regretted it ever since. I have an odyssey and would buy one again on a heartbeat,,,,,,honda manages to make excellent product year in and year out
Not that we're regretting it, yet, SWMBO opted to buy an AudiQ5, notwithstanding my importuning that she should buy a Subaru. What bothered me was that she couldn't/wouldn't put forward a rational reason for her choice other than she doesn't like the name "Subaru"... Go figure...happy wife, happy life, I guess. When I replace my car, which won't be soon, I'll be buying a Subaru. I currently have a 2003 Lexus IS300, which runs like a charm but has only 116,000km/70,000 miles on the clock. Also, it has a manual transmission, which is hard to come by these days.
Bryan
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm happy with my Forester. I haven't had any major issues aside from the AC compressor dying early on. The guy at the dealer said it was uncommon but with so many parts on a modern car there can be duds from time to time. The car will hold its value... I think I have about 55k miles and I don't plan on buying a new car until the maintenance or repairs start to become too expensive.

It's great in the snow and I use all weather tires. I've been out in the last few storms we've had and I've just driven right by folks who are spinning around all over. Having AWD isn't an excuse to drive like a jerk though. I always see a lot of these guys driving quickly and 9/10 they've got a mound of snow on the roof of their car.

When I go to REI I always try to count the Subaru's in the lot. There's always at least 2-3.

Barry
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Congrats Sam -- on the new car and the news on the relationship.
Wendell

nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Has anyone ever did a real comparison structurally of them? From what little ive seen, they aren't any beefier then a 4 door car is.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

nicodemus38 wrote:Has anyone ever did a real comparison structurally of them? From what little ive seen, they aren't any beefier then a 4 door car is.
Well, they are typically based on other platforms. The HRV for example is a stretched and hiked-up Fit/Jazz, the CRV a stretched and hiked-up Civic. The Crosstrek, however, is not based on another platform .... it's the Imprezza on higher heels with some cladding. Essentially a go-to Subaru that will take you virtually anywhere.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

nicodemus38 wrote:Has anyone ever did a real comparison structurally of them? From what little ive seen, they aren't any beefier then a 4 door car is.
Look up Consumer Reports. The annual auto edition will have the crash test and other safety info. to the extent available.
Bryan