FYI....Leica and Android fans can rejoice!!!

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

FYI....Leica and Android fans can rejoice!!!

Post by fallingwickets »

de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: FYI....Leica and Android fans can rejoice!!!

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm not sure how to connect my 1963 Leica to a smartphone. Perhaps the world would be subtlety different if we had thought to place a phone in our cameras instead of the other way round, but I guess most people prefer to talk than to make pictures.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I'm struggling to see what exactly Huawei can put in their cameras from Leica, without making the phone prohibitively expensive.
A Leica lens in a phone camera seems unlikely. Or, that should maybe be a Leica lens in a phone camera under $1500 seems unlikely.

Leica's going to “introduce its proven optical expertise into a new product segment and to unlock exciting business areas in the field of mobile devices.”
Huawei is “combining innovation and design, enhancing the user experience and continuing to inspire amazing advancement in human technology through exceptional premium imaging quality.”

I have a Huawei phone (Nexus 6P) and I rate it very highly, but the cynic in me sees this boiling down to a phone with a red dot on it. . .
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Considering how quickly phones become obsolete, I can't see the value of paying for a Leica lens that will be thrown away with the phone before long. A Leica attachment that could go from phone to phone, albeit a bit more clumsy, makes more sense to me.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

boiling down to a phone with a red dot on it.
for those of us on the 'must have the latest and greatest' road, a red dot will suffice to start off with LOL

clive
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

each generation of phone seems to get worse and worse as the megapixels go up.

My crummy old 2 megapixel phone had ZOOOM, sure it wasn't as NICE as my 3.5 megapixel phone without zoom. But I could get really close up on things. The new phone, gets blurry as the distance shortens.

And funny enough, my old phone could work fine in low light. Now I cant do anything without 50% light.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I admire the level of interest shown here, speaking solely from the sidelines of course. Idiot proof and cheap is more my speed.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Squire wrote:I admire the level of interest shown here, speaking solely from the sidelines of course. Idiot proof and cheap is more my speed.
I'm with you Squire. Unfortunately cell phone service in Canada is not cheap, so I don't bother. I've watched the interviews by Charlie Rose with Apple's Tim Cook and I just don't understand why anyone would want to store any of their personal or confidential information on their cell phone; sounds like a recipe for disaster to me and then they bleat about invasion of privacy. ](*,)
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I would be highly surprised (and slightly amused) that anyone would be interested in my personal data.
Regards,
Squire
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

So, I see a red dot on the box, and the word Leica on the camera.
A fine looking phone, apparently not available in the USA.
https://vimeo.com/161605039
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

very unhappy it isnt for sale here in the usa....my only consolation is that the size ( fan of the > 5.7) is off for me. If it was in my size range, id be making arrangements to buy one somehow

clive
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

eh even if you got one to America, its most definitely pre programmed only to function in Canada.