quality of sites

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
nicodemus38

quality of sites

Post by nicodemus38 »

I still peruse various shave related threads for the occasional review and just to see what still goes on. And im happy im not a member anywhere else.

On some, the most popular "must be purchased by members items" seems to be based on what the largest paying retailer on that site just got in stock. Example, they pay 50$ a more per month for membership,,, and when they get 2000 units of Palmolive shave stick, its the ultimate must have, and don't speak against it unless you want banning.
At other times, the retailers who aren't paying up every month on time are "most popular for a management allowed beat down"

How can one expect any useful review of a product or vendor in general, when the only reviews you can find are made by people who are on pins from fear of getting banned just because they didn't love a product, or lousy service from a vendor?
ShadowsDad

Re: quality of sites

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yup, folks have gotten banned or a private dressing down from some sites by disagreeing with the powers that be on the site regarding products.

Precisely why I'm active on some, and merely have active memberships on others. I'm far more active on sites where that isn't a factor. This being one of those sites. OK, I'll write it... gentleman can disagree nicely and not get their panties in a bunch. I like those sites. We won't agree on everything and it would be foolish to think that everyone is of a like mind regarding a product.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

But when you can get banned from a site because you reply to a thread form a paying vendor who asked for site improvements and issues with the site, and you list some?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's ancient history now, but SMF was formed when two guys posted a slightly critical product review on a vendor owned forum. Ironically, one of those two left SMF after a failed palace coup and founded the first and largest monetised shaving forum. We found that it is best to look upon such things as people finding their own level, and that there is little advantage in slanging off at other forums. It's not a competition when you aren't in it for the money, and we have been all the happier for it. It is worth remembering the following folk tale:
A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.
"What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.
"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer, answering the question with another question.
"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."
"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.
Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.
Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.
"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.
"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."
"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."
It's all too true.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yup.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Good parable, Chris!
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have found that there are great guys who like the occasional lighthearted discussion of shaving stuff on all of the forums. When I first became interested in posting on discussion boards, I quickly learned there are some hostile and troubled souls out there who seem to gain some type of satisfaction from being rude, hostile, and confrontational. As Chris's post emphasizes, troublesome discussion engenders trouble, and carefully worded gentlemanly posting will result in perpetuation of objective discussion and mutual respect. The hastily written word sometimes fails to communicate the intended tone and mood of those who post on discussion boards. I've seen some guys getting themselves banned for being argumental or overly confrontational. As all of the forums have pointed out, these boards are monitored in such a way as to encourage meaningful discussion as opposed to ill-advised rantings of those who've had a bad day. :D I've had a few bad days myself, and those days would have been better spent just reading and not posting.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

nicodemus38 wrote: . . . its the ultimate must have, and don't speak against it unless you want banning. . . . the only reviews you can find are made by people who are on pins from fear of getting banned just because they didn't love a product, or lousy service from a vendor?
Nic, I've never been banned when I say any given product is "not my cup of tea". 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Its not hard to. If you really wanted the experience I can tell you exactly what boards to go do and what soaps to complain about.