Job Problems

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
JayTrek

Job Problems

Post by JayTrek »

I am really struggling with my job these days. I have been at this place a year. And my boss is unbearable. It does not matter what I do...somehow she finds a way to criticize me. She seems obsessed with my salary. My job is being threatened. Right now I am just hoping I do not lose this job.

I need out!!!

But I am 43, white, and male.

Let me count...I think that is 3 strikes.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
CMur12

Re: Job Problems

Post by CMur12 »

Wow, Jason, that's pretty rough: The job is hell and you can't afford to lose your job! Obviously, I don't have a solution, but I sure hope the situation sorts itself out and takes the pressure off of you. I wish you the best!

- Murray
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I don't have a solution, either, but I do have some advice for you: document everything that happens to you. It may not change things, but how things are handled are important, and laws are in place to protect employees. You should make notes of every interaction with your boss that you think is either unprofessional or somehow threatens your position. Try to recreate what has happened already and write it down with dates. Your boss has a boss. If things get bad enough, and you have written documentation, you might be in a much stronger position than you know. Writing things down might at least make you feel better and less helpless and help you figure out what is happening to you. Good luck to you.
Jim
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Dittos what Kyle wrote. Document, document, document. Time and date; everything. If nothing else she's creating a hostile work environment for you. Just don't let on that you're doing any of this and don't use words like "hostile work environment". That would let the cat out of the bag. But give her plenty of rope to hang herself with.

Too, I've found that it's much easier to find a job if you already have a job, and the new job is usually better. It's not a law of the universe, it just appears to be true for some reason.

43 isn't too old. You have things that younger folks don't have, one is experience. Figure out what else you have and market those things. Maybe talk to a head hunter? I had one many years ago when I was in the plastics industry. People lined up to get me and they paid Wolff thousands to get me when I wanted to move on. Wolff knew how to market me. BTW, I paid nothing for his service. I also was able to dictate my terms to companies because they wanted me.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Document everything, daily, copy emails, etc. Also do what Brian said, there are other jobs out there, perhaps in a related field, and experienced help is hard to find.

If you have to stay there get your job description in writing and follow the script. Personality conflicts happen but if she is trying to run you off fight back, politely of course.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

When I accepted early retirement last year from my company (the one with a sizeable azure-ish logo ...... ) I was so relieved. Yes, I need to work and generate an income, but the reduced stress over the past 8 months has been great. I get that I am in a very different place than you are, Jason, but there will be a silver lining at the end of the rainbow. Do you love the job enough to do whatever you need to in order to keep it? Covering your backside is one thing, but if you are a good performer, and the company is large enough, why not start discrete discussions in other groups of the company?

My last manager was a very ambitious lady and we never saw eye to eye the entire time we worked together. This has happened to me only once before, and the stress levels were through the roof each time.

Don't run scared, do something about your performance that screams how talented you are. And in the worst case scenario, start working your network --- which you should always be doing even when happily employed.

Best of luck -- I feel for you, these are not fun experiences to go through.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

after 4.5 years at a big corporate company with a big "spark" in the logo I got fired because they wanted someones stepson to get my department manager job.
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

43? That is young. Take charge and do as others have said document but don't be obvious or obsessive. Learn the plumbing business. You have 20 plus years to get really good at it and they make a TON of money plus you typically won't have a female boss there.
Mike
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I did lose my job last Wednesday. I have slept rather well on the last few day knowing I no longer have to go back to that situation.

The good news is I have a lot of people who love me and are tagging me with opportunities. No...they are not for the money I was making. But I am not going to be one to be jobless for a long time because I am demanding too much money.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Jason, there's something to be said for having that stress out of your body.

Good luck finding a new job.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

You'll never miss it. Just be sure that any behaviors do not seep into your next venture. In your early 40"s the world is your oyster.
Mike
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your job, Jason, but I'm glad that there is some relief in it for you. It sounds like you're on the right path and I wish you the best.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Something tells me you're going to do just fine.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Jason -- you will survive -- and yes you will be able to sleep better.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

So there is an update to my situation. I have had interviews for two different jobs in the last week. I met with one yesterday that told me I was way overqualified for the job I was interviewing for. So I expected to hear back from them next week to tell me that they were going in a different direction and i was overqualified.

This morning, I received a voicemail to call them back. They told me they wanted to meet with me again in the morning to discuss. "what they want to try to do with me."

So I take it there will be an offer of some sort involved. It will probably be for less money. And the other job would be for more money. So I will definitely want to contact them to see where that situation stands before giving the first job a firm answer.

Good problem to have...I may have a decision to make over the next few days.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the update, Jason. You have some options now, so I wish you the best possible outcome.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

so I wish you the best possible outcome.
ditto on what Murray said

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Excellent!
Brian

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good luck man, keep us posted.
Regards,
Squire
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Not to worry, Jason.

I just retired to make room for you! I have had my fill of bosses like yours.... the ones who think they know what is going on, only they don't have a clue.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll land on your feet and carry on.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.