French Press Recipes?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Gene

French Press Recipes?

Post by Gene »

From Bryan:

"We have a large and a small French press, but for the life of me I can't make a decent coffee with either one. I don't know if it's the workman or the tools."

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but I sometimes have troubles with getting good coffee from a French Press, too, and wondered if this group had some recipes they might want to share?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: French Press Recipes?

Post by M6Classic »

A few tips...

-- Purchase fresh roasted beans and keep them in your freezer, they should be good for two weeks.
-- Grind your beans just before brewing, but do not grind them too fine...you should experiment.
-- Your water should be about 185-190 degrees F, not boiling.
-- Pour the heated water over the ground beans and stir briefly with a spoon.
-- I let the coffee brew for about four and a half minutes...experiment for what makes the coffee you like.
-- Press and pour. Get a cozy to keep the pot warm or wrap it in a tea towel.

There are lots of different beans available, most metro areas will have at least a couple of local roasters. If you go on line the choices are unlimited. I could tell you what I like, but you should search out your favorites. Other than beans, the greatest variable (as with wet shaving) is the quality of your water. If your water is safe but has an off odor or taste, get a filter pitcher such as a Brita...again, there are many from which to choose. Also, I use an electric kettle which keeps the water heated to various temperatures, including what I consider the best temperature for my coffee. Again, many from which to choose.

Try to get your coffee routine down pat so you can due it virtually in your sleep. Do not make a fetish of it. If you subscribe to this list you are already in enough trouble.

Buzz
smoothshaver

Re: French Press Recipes?

Post by smoothshaver »

M6Classic wrote:A few tips...
Try to get your coffee routine down pat so you can due it virtually in your sleep. Do not make a fetish of it. If you subscribe to this list you are already in enough trouble.
Buzz
=D> Too true!
-Ed