Getting into bike riding for fitness

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Getting into bike riding for fitness

Post by Sam »

Went on a bike ride with my new wifes tonight. Just around the neighborhood. She had a flat bar fitness bike, Specialized brand, that she let me ride and she was sweet in riding the one speed. Small for me, but I felt good riding. I had a meniscus tear that required surgery and so lower impact sounds appealing.

As is my usual case, I am reading all I can about bikes for beginners, trying to maybe find something I can use longer than just to get initial fitness. Went to a local bike shop, saw some Giant hybids (Escape 2 for $360, the Escape 3 for $460) and some Giant Defys road bikes (last years Defy 2 dropped to $990). I think I would really be more likely to ride twice during the week for 30 to 45 minutes and then maybe longer rides on Saturday. But who knows, I might get into longer rides. On the one hand, the lower priced hyrids around $500 mean I dont have to get the clip in shoes and could probably get by with regular shorts I used to run in. But I wonder if I would get arm sore with the one position of the flat bars. That is me overthinking it.

I guess what I need to do is carry some shorts, shoes, t shirt and go to bike shops and just ask to see if I can ride something and I will find the bike that sings to me? I usually try to get a deal, or a value, but I am guessing this is one area that I ought to get the bike that feels best and looks best to me given the money I want to spend?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Oh, and going to the doc Wednesday for a checkup/phyiscal. Feel fine, but I think I need to be more intentional about what I eat. But I certainly like how I feel after the running or riding. Nice good sweat.
brothers

Re: Getting into bike riding for fitness

Post by brothers »

Sam, do what I do after all these years --- I follow the advice of my wife, and have never regretted it. Make it easy on yourself.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gary, she is all supportive. Tells me to go get information, check it out, make the decision I like best, and don't worry about how much I spend. She is a big believer in "there is no price too high for good health" and it is her impetus that I set a wellness visit, though have had a few issues with cramping at night, mild but getting to be noticeable. Don't know if it is now that certain foods get to me, or if it could be that as my psoriasis is being treated well with otezla, the autoimmune system in my body is now redirecting its focus away from skin and going to now cause my ulcerative colitis
brothers

Post by brothers »

If I recall, there are several of the SMF guys who ride bikes and will have some great advice. Good luck, I'll be interested in learning what you come up with.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Sam, if you are going to a bike shop. Be prepared to tell them how tall you are and perhaps endure a few measurements. A bike shop worth its salt will try to get you into a bike that fits you. And trust me, it makes a difference how well a bike fits you.

I am partial to Trek and Specialized myself. Cannondale also makes great rides.

But you will find that you can spend as much as you want to on a bicycle these days. I laid eyes today, in fact, on a $3,600 road bike.

Wish I had that kind of money to blow on one right now.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sam, I agree with Jason that a good bike shop is the way to go. They will be measuring not only your leg extension from the seat to the pedals, but also your reach to the handlebars and other things. It is my experience also that a bike that fits you right makes a big difference.

Keep in mind that to save your knees you should use lower gears and pedal faster. If you use higher gears and mash on the pedals, it will put more strain on your knees.

- Murray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ended up getting a Raleigh Cadent 1. Rode a Trek 7.2 and 7.3 and a Torker (or something like that) and a Jamis Coda Sport, and looked at the Giant Escape. The Raleigh just felt good and sang to me.
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

If she sings to you...you better jump on it.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Ended up getting a Raleigh Cadent
looks very kewl.....use in good health!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

JayTrek partial to Trek? Whoulda guessed? Raleigh is a classic old brand. Good luck with your purchase. Biking has some advantages over walking and running. The scenery changes quicker, and you create your own breeze. Enjoy your new hobby! That's some kind of record for a big-purchase decision, isn't it, Sam?
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sounds like a good choice Sam! I hope you enjoy racking up many well-spent miles on your new ride.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Nothing like cycling. I don't get on my ride near enough, but love it when I do.

You don't need to spend a bunch on gear --- I started riding without spandex and padded shorts many years ago. Eventually, yes, I succumbed to the gear --- and am glad I did in the end, but to enjoy a ride you don't need to spend the $$ right away.

Get yourself some clips for your pedals -- easier to use then clipless pedals for first-time riders. Eventually, clipless is the way to go --- you won't believe how much more power you can pull down with no more effort. It's incredible, the difference.

I currently ride a 8 yr old Specialized Seqouia which is a road touring bike. I prefer drop-downs but the touring bike has a bit more upright position making it less stressful on the back for longer rides.

Enjoy.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Like that reference to Jay's last name, lol.

Yeah, I am just gonna ride to build up the buttocks for riding. Hands can get kinda, well, stiff if that makes sense. Different sorts of shifters, not that I found one to be better than the other, but mine are at the handlebar ends. Also the handlebar ends, mine has a little protrusion, so more to put against my palm. May want gloves in the future.

I would have thought that the clippers (not talking about clipin shoes with pedals but the round half case that goes over the top of the foot) would help hold the foot on the peddle.

I may eventually get a road bike if I find that my short rides are 45 minutes and my long ones are 1.5 hours or more. Id probably do the touring or endurance road bike, from what I have read that is kinda like Wendells', not as aggressive riding position. I have a buddy who spend $5000 on a carbon fiber bike but he is doing 20mph average rides with like 33 miles. My first one was a 9,5 mph average for about 3.6 miles. Been using mapmyride but may get an onboard computer.

Getting a trailer hitch installed on my SUV and someone may give me a bike rack. If so, I am taking our bikes to Atlanta. Next door to where my daughter lives is a park what has a jogging/bike trail and while they walk their dog, I can take off for 30 minutes. My son-in-law used to do tris and sold his bike.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You guys are making me tired and I walk three miles each day.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I'm Thinking that I should get my bike out of hibernation. It's been stored in the garage for several years and thus will require a tune-up. It's a 24 year old Trek hybrid, but I can't see how its age will affect it other than requiring a comprehensive going over by the mechanics at MEC. I used to ride regularly, but got out of the habit when I started fencing and working with a personal trainer.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam -- even though I am a die-hard clipless pedal fanatic, you should do fine with a set of inexpensive clips --- you should be able to pick up a cheap pair at Walmart. If you were in Canada, I'd point you to Canadian Tire --- unbelievable the stuff they sell.

Anyway -- gloves - absolutely a must. Good gloves will make a big difference in the pressure on your wrists. Also -- be particular about your posture while riding -- keep the angle from your elbow to the fingers around the bar grips or bar ends straight -- as soon as you bend them you'll run into long-term issues and could cause some tendon stress (not fun -- worse then carpal tunnel).

And now I am going to contradict myself -- if you are going on rides of 45 minutes or more at speed (more than say, 20km/hr) then I would get some good shorts and a riding shirt. You don't need the best stuff (I am partial to Pearl Izumi gear). Check out Nashbar.com. They sell good gear at great prices. I have acquired a fair bit from them over the years. My pedals and shoes were 50% cheaper than I would have paid at a shop here in Ottawa -- for the same product. And a helmet - ---- do NOT go out on a bike without one. There is a good reason they are called a Brain Bucket --- one tip off the bike and the wrong angle, and you can be in big trouble. Buy a decent one -- Costco has Bell mid-range ones for less than $30. Look for one that has a rotary adjustment rather than separate pad sets you have to exchange (most helmets do that now, but if it doesn't, then do not buy it).

Lots more I could go on and on about -- kind of like MWF, you see!

\:D/
Wendell

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Got a Giro with the rotary adjustment
Yeah, I can see me getting gloves. Handle grips on the Cadent 1, the 16 model, are nice, but not gel

Looking at a bike rack for wife and I to use on my SUV. 2 bikes, I am thinking we will take them on trips, so maybe a platform would work best? I hear that some bikes on the tube hangers can get scratched, wobble, tires turn in air, etc.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I was going to suggest gloves. Wendell beat me to it. Good luck, Sam.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

Regarding biking on trips - when my daughter and I went on a two day trip to a state park a few years ago, we almost rented a couple of bikes, but before we did, it occurred to me that the terrain was up and down. When I realized we (I) would be working quite hard to get up back up the hill we just coasted down, it didn't sound like any fun. I'm sure you both will not be faced with that issue, and I can only imagine how much fun you're going to have with your bicycles.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Regarding bike racks on a car Thule is the best option ---- expensive, but well worth it.

I purchased a Thule roof rack system 14 years ago for a 2003 Altima. Have used it on 4 cars since --- all I needed to switch out were adapter feet. Can't beat them for quality, security and safety.
Wendell