Any fountain pen users here?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
maskaggs

Any fountain pen users here?

Post by maskaggs »

I've revived my little collection of Pilot Metropolitan and Jinhao pens, with the gracious support of the Goulet Pen Company. The Jinhaos had all dried out so cleaning them has been a pain, but writing has been a joy (and much easier with my brachial distonia). Diamine's Presidential Blue, my current favorite ink, is just gorgeous.

Anyone else?
Regards,
Mike
Rufus

Re: Any fountain pen users here?

Post by Rufus »

I'm both a user and a collector of vintage and modern fountain pens. At last count I had +100. My favourites are my 6 Pelikans of which 2 are pre-WWII. My collection comprises Bexleys, Conway Stewarts, Mabie Todds, Sheaffers, Onotos,Lamys, Esterbrooks, Watermans, Parkers, Eversharps, Omas and a few other odds and sods.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm 64 years old and I have liked fountain pens since I was a boy. I have a number of modern fountain pens, which I prize, and I have my eye on a few others. My favorite ink was Parker Penman Sapphire, which I have grieved since it was discontinued. It was a rich, vibrant blue and I have found no other ink comparable to it.

- Murray
owenm

Post by owenm »

I've currently got 3 Pilot's with fine points inked - a stealth VP, a blue Capless Decimo and a limited edition M90. All with Waterman Florida Blue. I think the Decimo is my favourite. I'm trying to write at least a page long-hand every day in work. The Capless pens do very well at that as I can write a couple of lines and then click them shut.
Cheers,
Owen
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Currently using a Parker Duofold with Waterman Blue.
Regards,
Squire
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Been using fountain pens almost exclusively for maybe twenty years. FPs and dark art pencils. #2 pencils are annoying at best. I'll have two or three pens inked at a time, a carry pen and a nicer one that stays home. I have a stash of Penman from years ago, Sapphire, Ruby, and Emerald, virtually unused. Used the last of the Ebony long ago. Currently using Diamine, Waterman, and some vintage Quink.
Ed
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I have a small collection of fountain pens; a few Montblancs, a Parker or two, and several Pelikans (my favorites). None of them are legacy pens, and only a few are out of production so, no museum pieces, but very nice indeed all the same.

I tend to favor Pelikan fountain pen ink -- I buy a bottle of red, and a bottle of standard blue. I mix the two equally, with the resulting ink being dark maroon in color. I've been doing this for several years with excellent results. I have to admit that I'm attracted to some of the seductive colors ink comes in these days. There used to be an ink with a beautiful sunset color called, I believe, KINGSGOLD. I don't remember who made it. The only problem with it was that it would not work with photocopy machines

It is great fun to mix colors on your own, but it can get very messy. Also, be sure to never use any ink that isn't made for fountain pens -- most especially, do NOT ever put India ink, or artists permanent inks in a fountain pen. Another point worth mentioning -- many fountain pens don't behave well in pressurized airplane cabins -- unfortunately for me, I discovered this while wearing a nice shirt that was NOT maroon.
Last edited by BiffBuff on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
disengage
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I keep a Montblanc Diplomat in a desk stand on my desk at work. Mike Masuyama adjusted the flow and nib soon after I got it, and it writes great. The only problem is that I cringe when a client reaches for it to sign papers or take notes.
Jim
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

Yes, that IS awkward sometimes. I don't think I'd have the nerve to leave one on my desk. One tip I got from a fountain pen user was to keep the pens cap in your hand and only offer the "business" part of the pen to someone if you simply must lend it. They may manhandle it and make me wince, but they are unlikely to put it in their pocket. I guess this wouldn't work with a desk pen.

When I'm carrying my fountain pen I invariably also carry a disposable stick pen to offer would-be borrowers. Problem solved.
disengage
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I generally intercede quickly with a rollerball, but I have had to wince through someone's manhandling. Happily, no damage yet!
Jim
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Sounds like some real gems floating around out there. My "collection," so to speak, is much less extensive, although defending the dissertation in December (God willing) may occasion adding something nice to the collection.

I've just discovered the joy of syringe filling - no more fumbling about with nibs dunked into bottles or the manual acrobatics required of filling from a sample vial!
Regards,
Mike
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I kind of like filling from a glass inkwell. The sound of a nib tapping against a glass rim is very distinct and soothing. Not heard much anymore. Like wet shaving, it's the small rituals that bring satisfaction.
Jim
jthomas1264

Post by jthomas1264 »

I am a Parker 51 enthusiast. I have my grandfather's 51 that he carried on a B-29 bomber in WWII. I purchased the limited edition 51 a decade or so ago, but it was recently stolen. I have decided to purchase a refurbished 1945 Parker 51 to replace it.

jt
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I once collected FPs a few years ago. I need to get back into it. I am partial to Lamy. My favorite is a blue Lamy Studio. I really like an XF nib. I also have a couple of large and really heavy pens. I had a friend send me one a few years ago that is 52grams.

This thread brings back good memories.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
maroonviking

Post by maroonviking »

I love fountain pens! Use them all the time. I love my Conklin duragraph recommended by http://www.penchalet.com. Great value for the price but my favorite are my Pilot Custom 823, Lamy 2000, and my Sailor 1911 fountain pens