Favorite hotel

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jthomas1264

Favorite hotel

Post by jthomas1264 »

All: I used to travel quite a bit for work and became very accustomed to business travel accommodations. But now I am enjoying weekends in . . . getaway hotels, for lack of a better term. I recently spent a three-day weekend at the Broadmoore in Colorado Spgs. First rate accommodations and service. How about y'all? Not places like a Ritz-Carlton (which are great places for travel) but rather hotels that you would . . . escape to.

jt
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Favorite hotel

Post by Squire »

I seek out the old places in historic districts, buildings with character and heritage. I stayed at a place in Strasburg, PA where George Washington slept when he was traveling through the area.

Another spot we liked was the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO, where "The Shining" was filmed. Sat on the porch drinking coffee while the early morning Sun was just hitting snow capped peaks in Rocky Mountain National Park, this in the first week of August which was interesting for a guy from a region where we get a few inches of snow once every three years or so.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I guess the term hotel would cover my favorite, a lodge in Teton National Park, just east of the Tetons. Overlooking a breathtakingly beautiful view. Wyoming, just south of Yellowstone.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I no longer travel very often, but in decades past....

I was an impoverished GI newly to West Germany. A fellow trooper from TN and I wanted to get off base so we went to Mainz, just a short train ride from where we were stationed in Dexheim. We got there with no civvies, just our fatigues. After leaving the train station we saw an information kiosk and asked the lady within about accommodations. She proceeded to tell us about conventions and such and then suggested that we go here, then there and find the hotel/winehaus Lorenz. She told us to look for a tiny sign designating it. We found it and went inside. The proprietor seemed agitated/excited and filled our dinner orders after seating us in the wine cellar/restaurant. After eating our meals and the place filled up with college students, remember we were still wearing our military fatigues, the piano player began playing US military tunes, Battle Hymn of the Republic and such. But by that time we were feeling absolutely no pain from the fantastic Rhine wine. The proprietor, the instigator of all of this, came over and explained how his dad had been a member of the Resistance in France during WW2 and we were the first GIs that he recognized that he could thank for what our country had done. He came over with a bottle of cognac and we toasted to the USA and to us, and GOD knows what else. He left the bottle with us and told us to finish it, which we did. It was a wonderful night that I will absolutely never forget. Once in a lifetime.

I have no idea if it's still there, but it's near the cathedral in Mainz, and it's in the old Roman section not far from the cathedral. I could, to this day, probably walk to it from the Bahnhof. If it still exists, and I know the building and wine cellars do, it might be worth seeking out. Unfortunately, my experience and yours won't be the same. Ours was once in a lifetime and never to be repeated. When we came to the next morning we went across the cobblestone street and bought civvies so that we could blend in. But for that one night it was fantastic. I'd love to know if the hotel/winehouse Lorenz still exists for the college students of Mainz.

After that I had 2 years to partake but mostly from "GI accommodations" in liberated towns. Garmisch/Partinchirchen, and Berchesgaden (sp?). But I stayed in the SS barracks. Marble stairs and such and fantastic meals. Also a B&B outside of Innsbruck, in Igles, and above the olympic ski jump, nice B&B, but there were many in that town. I'm talking '70-'73. Wow, what a jolt back to the past! But it's something that I'll never forget. I quite liked Igles, Austria and the B&B. Do that in winter.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Great stories. Unfortunately, I have none of that ilk.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

We like to not stay in hotels any more than we need to preferring to stay in self-catering lodgings. The rooms/suites are always far more delightful, better equipped, nicer and more comfortable furniture and definitely more accessible. I find they are far less expensive as well.

On our recent week and a half in Cape Cod, we found an excellent suite backing onto the Sandwich salt marsh for a fraction of a hotel room, on VRBO.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Greenbrier, WV
Pinehurst Hotel, NC
The Homestead, WV
The Breakers, Palm Beach
The Cloisters, Sea Island, Ga.
Keswick Hall, Charlottesville, Va.
Jim
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

The Peabody in Memphis.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'll let Sam tell us about the Peabody.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Peabody is a great place to people watch. Happy hour, watching businessmen and tourist intermingle. In fact, one time, they had Priscilla Presley cutting a birthday cake for Elvis and people he hung around with all milling around the lobby talking to anyone and everyone. Oh, google the Peabody ducks, maybe there is a video. Thursday nights in the summer, rooftop parties and the smell of BBQ from the Rendezvous wafting through the air.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Next time we're in Memphis, I want to go to the Peabody and experience the Sunday brunch at Chez Philippe.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

The Grove Park Inn, Asheville, NC

Asheville has become a big food and music mecca in the NC mountains. The Biltmore Inn on Biltmore Estate is also great if you want a more pastoral setting.
Jim
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Many great hotels mentioned and I have stayed in a few of them as well. For the last 6 years or so I have taken to renting via VRBO and find an upscale house, condo, or townhouse in the city or cabin in the mountains versus hotels. No room service, but at the nicer ones I have enjoyed, previous guests do a form of PIF and leave interesting condiments, dried pasta, wine, etc and you are encouraged to do the same. Wonderful to visit a local market, stock the fridge and live like a local whilst there. One of my favorites ever was a beautiful home in the Queen Anne area of Seattle with a perfect view of Puget Sound and surrounding mountains. Less than 15 min to downtown or just enjoying the Upper Queen Anne neighborhood that is chock full of quality places to delve into.

If hard pressed for strictly hotel....I prefer Ritz Carlton. If you are a frequent and loyal guest they treat you like a King.
Mike
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Hotel 1898 on la Rambla, Barcelona. At home it would be the Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta.
Bryan
jthomas1264

Post by jthomas1264 »

Thanks for all the suggestions. My must-stay list just tripled in length! Maybe one or two more before summer is over.

jt
Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite »

[quote="Sam"]Peabody is a great place to people watch. Happy hour, watching businessmen and tourist intermingle. In fact, one time, they had Priscilla Presley cutting a birthday cake for Elvis and people he hung around with all milling around the lobby talking to anyone and everyone. Oh, google the Peabody ducks, maybe there is a video. Thursday nights in the summer, rooftop parties and the smell of BBQ from the Rendezvous wafting through the air.

https://youtu.be/82svIC2fFS0
Gene

Post by Gene »

I have always liked staying at the Hayes Mansion in San Jose, CA.

Built by a newspaper family, but now a hotel.

I love wandering around the main building - self guided tours are allowed.

http://www.dolce.com/hayes-mansion/
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

There are two I should mention in addition to the two I mentioned above: Mansion Del Rio on the River Walk, San Antonio and the Arizona Builtmore in Tucson, AZ.
Bryan
Gene

Post by Gene »

Rufus wrote:There are two I should mention in addition to the two I mentioned above: Mansion Del Rio on the River Walk, San Antonio and the Arizona Builtmore in Tucson, AZ.
What a coincidence - wife and I are driving down to San Antonio for the weekend, and we are staying at that hotel!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gene wrote:
Rufus wrote:There are two I should mention in addition to the two I mentioned above: Mansion Del Rio on the River Walk, San Antonio and the Arizona Builtmore in Tucson, AZ.
What a coincidence - wife and I are driving down to San Antonio for the weekend, and we are staying at that hotel!
That sure is. When we lived in Houston we often went to San Antonio and always stayed in the Mansion del Rio. As it's been several years since we were last there, we'd be interested on getting your take on the hotel.
Bryan