Yeti Coolers and Cups

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Yeti Coolers and Cups

Post by Sam »

Yeti - great products, high price. Found a 20 oz Rambler at Walmart, Ozark Trail is the brand name. Oh, and the Koozie. $8.00 for each vs $30 for the Yeti 20 oz Rambler and $15 for a Koozie. Out of stock for the 30 oz. So I read up that the people that made Yeti sold out and a covenant not to compete expired and they started RTIC, and since the technology is not patented, they make the exact same product. The 30 oz Rambler is $20, shipped free, vs. $40 and tax for the Yeti version

I wanted a soft sided cooler and their version is square, not like the $400 Hopper by Yeti, but is $124.99. Oh well, overkill for what I need but still, I may get it in the future

Hope this helps some of you who wanted a Yeti but did not want to pay the price. Oh, and RTIC sells the hard coolers as well.

If one reads on the net, it is said that one plant makes the Yeti and then after hours, makes production runs for these other companies. The technology is the same. if they put Yeti markings on my Walmart-brand cup, you would not know. Now for coolers, i did not read up on that. I wanted something for a beach, or to take to take to outdoor concerts, ballgames, picnics - room for maybe 18 cans, bottle of wine, ice and some cheese, fruit, etc. The Yeti Hopper is great for cans and wine, but is more like a shopping bag. And at $399. The RTIC 30 can cooler is what I wanted, at $124, but I will use the thing maybe 3, 4 times a year. So I got a NorChill 24 can one off ebay for $49.
Kyle76

Re: Yeti Coolers and Cups

Post by Kyle76 »

RTIC looks good, Sam, although I'm not sure about any connection to Yeti, either manufacturing or personnel. Could you cite a source? Yeti is a tremendous case study in establishing itself as a superior product and a lifestyle brand. When hundreds of thousands of people voluntarily sport your logo on shirts, hats, trucks, boats, etc., you have created a powerful brand.
Jim
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I came across some post somewhere. Can't recall. But a lot of links to forums have seen that the RTIC one appears to be a replica of the Yeti cups. My Walmart one seems to be too
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I stumbled across Yeti products quite by accident back in May while my wife and I were spending a week on Cape Cod. I had come across the Cape Cod Beach Chair Company Store, and while I became enthralled with their high-end beach chairs (which we'll be ordering a couple prior to our annual end-of-summer trip to Maine later next month). Then I saw these Yeti products, glanced at the prices and just about gagged. Are they really all that good? Seriously?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Read up on them. High priced, yes, but work. We took a cooler, and filled it with drinks and ice. Left it on a pontoon boat from Friday afternoon to Monday afternoon. Still had ice, and cold water. And we were opening and closing it during the day to get beer and stuff
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam wrote:Read up on them. High priced, yes, but work. We took a cooler, and filled it with drinks and ice. Left it on a pontoon boat from Friday afternoon to Monday afternoon. Still had ice, and cold water. And we were opening and closing it during the day to get beer and stuff
That is some good performance out of a cooler, I admit. Now -- the challenge is getting outside to actually use one ....
Wendell

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Wendell they do work. But the technology is not new. Coleman makes one also. And going to the beach, I want to keep the drinks cold for 10, 12 hours, and I am good. I think the one I got from Norchill at $49 will do just that. I can always get the RTIC one.

Now, on my honeymoon, at the all inclusive, you saw guys with Yetis. Very few Tervis (double-walled, plastic). They would get their 30 oz of whatever and be able to stay away from the bar awhile, lol
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Wendell, they are quite heavy and thick with a rubber gasket around the lid opening to seal in the cold. I have a 75-quart model that we use at the beach to free up refrigerator space. It's pretty heavy when empty. One person can't lift it when loaded up. The founders invented it because they wanted a cooler they could stand on while fishing from a boat. The insulated cups will keep coffee warm for several hours. I've left ice in a cup at work overnight, and it wasn't totally melted when I came in the next morning. The soft coolers have a unique waterproof zipper that will not leak even held upside down. That said, they are expensive. But, my kids will inherit mine and probably get many more years of use from it long after I'm gone.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Huh --- thanks gents. Too rich for my blood -- besides, we'd never use it. Like I said in a previous post, we don't get outside enough to be using our cheap (by Yetti standards) Rubbermaid on wheels unit.
Wendell

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I got the 30 ounce cup today and what I like to do is fill it up with ice tea in the morning and I can leave it in the cup holder of my car and come back 8 hours later and I have half the ice remaining and my ice tea still cold for the afternoon commute home. I did not get the yeti version but get the rtic version.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I received one of the 16 (?) ounce YETI tumblers for fathers' day. I mainly drink hot coffee and I do like the fact that it stays hot for as long as it might take me to empty it. My wife read an article about how someone tested clones against the Yeti. Seems the only difference between them is price.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Gary, they're making some very cheap lookalikes these days. I'm sure there are some comparables, like RTIC, but I doubt the $10 Wal-Mart version measures up.
Jim
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Jim it does. I have the 20 ounce tumbler. Top gasket is just a little different. 7.94 for it vs. 30 foe yeti.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The comparison included the WalMart cup, and they tested the same.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Hmmmmm. Interesting.
Jim
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

What is the brand of the Walmart cup?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ozark trail. House brand
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Yeti is suing these companies for patent infringement. Here is a story on the Wal-Mart suit:
http://magazine.promomarketing.com/arti ... ringement/
I have read that the Ozarks aren't easy to find. Your experience may be different, Sam.
Jim
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

The 30 is always sold out. I got a 20 and the colster. Got the 30 from RTIC
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have been told that Walmart receives hundreds if not thousands of lawsuits every day. :D
Gary