Eyeglass Lens Retailer Recommendations

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
churchilllafemme

Eyeglass Lens Retailer Recommendations

Post by churchilllafemme »

It's been quite a while since I bought eyeglass lenses, and the last time I purchased directly from my eye doctor. I now have a new prescription from a doctor who does not sell glasses, so I need to buy lenses to fit my current frame from a retailer. I want to go to a walk-in store rather than getting the lenses online. Fairly near to where I live are Lenscrafters, America's Best, Sears Optical, and Pearle Vision. Has anyone had experience with one or more of these stores, and if so, what are your recommendations?
Thanks!
_______
John
pausted

Re: Eyeglass Lens Retailer Recommendations

Post by pausted »

John, in my experience you will need to go to an optician that grinds their own lenses. Probably a local guy. I think most of the big chains send their stuff to their central lab.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Last week my wife received a new prescription from the optometrist, and we went to LensCrafters. She got two pairs, regular and sunglasses. She is very satisfied with her new glasses. It took about a week or so to receive the new glasses.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

pausted wrote:John, in my experience you will need to go to an optician that grinds their own lenses. Probably a local guy. I think most of the big chains send their stuff to their central lab.

Basil, why is that?

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

Murray, I assumed that John wanted to keep his frames while the lenses are being prepared rather than send them to a distant lab. Maybe a bad assumption on my part.
Best regards,

Basil
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

pausted wrote:Murray, I assumed that John wanted to keep his frames while the lenses are being prepared rather than send them to a distant lab. Maybe a bad assumption on my part.
I think that's an accurate assumption. Plus, I bought the frames at a local shop, so I'll probably just have the lenses made there and accept the higher cost. Anyway, I prefer to support a local small business.
_______
John
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I've used LensCrafters in Canada and the USA and have found them to be quite satisfactory, particularly if I need my glasses in a rush. I do, however, prefer to buy from my optometrist, because I like to support him over a chain and he has a good selection of frames and lens types. I've also used Costco and they're fine, but the selection is so very limited to the point that I stopped using them several years ago.
Bryan