Wine

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Wine

Post by brothers »

For those of us who have been known to have a taste of the grape every now and then: What are the benefits of this miraculous beverage in your opinion and experience?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Re: Wine

Post by Kyle76 »

Health or just in general? For me, the best thing about wine is the way it enhances a good meal.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

In appropriate quantities and circumstances wine seems to encourage relaxation and social interaction.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Yes ,a nice glass with dinner is good for maintaining health....I live in Napa County ,California's most famous wine area....Earlier this year most vineyards wines were tested,even the organic ones....100% of all the wine tested contained Monsanto Roundup ,even the organic wines..The poison is so saturated in the ground that it is flowing in the aquifers now...I switched to buying only European wines ..... http://www.ecowatch.com/monsantos-glyph ... 99552.html
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

That roundup is a nightmare, and yet in suburbia, prissy little things insist on using it, because, you know, g-d forbid you see a 'weed' Everytime i see someone with roundup in a cart at the market I have fantasies of them drowning in it...sick i know, but true
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

I like wine, with a meal or just sitting on the deck watching nature.

My palate is not sophisticated - I seem to enjoy the affordable as well as the high-end stuff.

Black Box Merlot is really nice (IMHO), as is the 14 hands Merlot and Cab.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I fancy myself a wine aficionado but the truth is I'll cheerfully drink anything that's free.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I'm not an aficionado by any stretch; just a frequent imbiber. I enjoy particularly New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir. I used to enjoy the big, bold Australian Cabs, but in recent years haven't found them enjoyable; must be age catching up.
Bryan
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I really love wine, but you know the saying about high taste and low budget. My browser history is full of searches along the lines of "best cheap wine 2016" and so on.

I'm reading Michael Pollan's *In Defense of Food* right now, which has a section on the benefits of wine. His argument boils down to: in moderation, it sure can't hurt.
Regards,
Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

on the subject of pollan...great netflix show : cooked

and also on netflix the best doc ever, as a wine fan anyway: somm

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Enjoyed a nice glass of red Italian wine with dinner tonight. Quite enjoyable.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

fallingwickets wrote:on the subject of pollan...great netflix show : cooked

and also on netflix the best doc ever, as a wine fan anyway: somm

clive
Really liked that one.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

squire, what really opened my eyes was seeing all these extremely knowledgeable wine guys sitting around shooting the breeze drinking jugs of table wine.....if its good enough for them, it works for me HAHA

clive
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I half some of those wine guys go home and drink a beer.
Regards,
Squire
andyson

Post by andyson »

Good luck, I'm sure you'll land on your feet and carry on.

gclub
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

fallingwickets wrote:That roundup is a nightmare, and yet in suburbia, prissy little things insist on using it, because, you know, g-d forbid you see a 'weed' Everytime i see someone with roundup in a cart at the market I have fantasies of them drowning in it...sick i know, but true
....I feel the same way...This crap is banned in most countries ,and the countries that do sell it tightly regulate the sale and use..In America a 10 year old kid can walk into Walmart and buy a gallon....The Napa-Sonoma wineries are fairy Roundup free, the poison is from runoff and aquifer contamination.We know this because even the organic California wines that are AGRI regulated contain Roundup,this stuff is used by the ton , it's everywhere.
brothers

Post by brothers »

When we were 20 ish, we asked a guy to do us a favor and pick up a gallon of Mogen David. That was probably before they had invented Roundup. Fast forward to the present, on a different subject, is it true that European wines have little or no Roundup to be concerned about?
Gary