Shakedown or stupidity

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Shakedown or stupidity

Post by brothers »

It could be either. Did the convenience store seize an opportunity to extort money, or was it gross carelessness by a group of idiots? Or some unknown combination of both. :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: Shakedown or stupidity

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, are you referring to a specific incident?

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

US swim team. Tale of gunpoint robbery. Off campus, at the culmination of an evening of questionable behavior.
Last edited by brothers on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Okay, I do know about that. I'm not sure what to believe, though I'm a little more inclined to believe the Brazilian authorities in this case.

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I haven't seen the video, which purports to prove the Americans were lying. Nevertheless, their actions appear to be grossly ignorant and arrogant, especially the lying...shades of the "Ugly American".
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Rufus, that's exactly what I thought (ugly American).

I saw the video and in one portion of it and mostly out of the camera one can see something crashing to the ground in the mens room. That much is clear. Someone destroyed something. Now we know from his buddies that it was Lockte who did the deed.

Ryan Lockte (sp?) needs to remember that when he's in another country that he needs to follow their laws. In the US submitting a false complaint is a crime. I doubt that it's less in Brazil. Lying to his mom because he's a spoiled brat ("My little boy wouldn't do that!") is a poor excuse for lying to the police. Plus he's in his 30's. At some point he needs to grow up and take responsibility for his actions. He lied, pure and simple. He lied to the police, and to millions in on air interviews. But that's, for some reason, considered to be acceptable today.

Frankly, I wish they had caught up to him before he left the country. I'm just tired of that sort of behavior.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Lochte is an idiot. I wonder how long it took his sponsors to tear up their brand new contract that was in place only for a couple of days or so. How much money is this costing him? :D There was a time when Bill Cosby was one of the most trusted celebrities, and he cashed in all of his chips when he became the spokesman for "New Coke". I clearly remember seeing him and hearing him when he said "New Coke is even better tasting than the original!" We all said "OK Bill, if you say so, then I'll go buy some." We get home, the wife and kids and I opened up our New Coke and --- blah. WTH! It was disturbing that someone of Bill's standing would have sold his soul for money. His goose was cooked and it's a fact they cancelled the ad campaign and rather suddenly created "Original Coca Cola" for the masses. He never got another commercial for anything, and rightfully so. [No comment from me on his current problems.]
Gary

slackskin

Post by slackskin »

I think that Lockte should go to Brazil and answer for his actions. Rather than the namby-pamby "apology-but-with-an-explanation" he has given, I would prefer a straghtforward approach of doing the honorable thing and falling on his sword, with clear and plain-spoken wording such as the following:
I have embarrased myself
I have embarrased the US Olympic team
I have embarrased the United States
There is no explanation, and I take responsibility for my actions

But of course he is used to being "special" and does not have the moral fiber to do it.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I saw the first part of his interview that he did with Matt Lauer and it's still appears that he did not accept full responsibility. Then again athletes with special talents live in a privileged and rarefied world that I know nothing about. It is true that they have pressures that I don't know about either. And much of it can be self-induced, but they are also allowed privileges that go along with athletic performance. I'll never know what it's like to be comped dinner at Hollywood restaurant or given backstage passes to certain concerts.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Sam, are you writing that because of who they are they don't need to follow the same rules and laws that we all do? Or that if they go to a foreign country that their laws don't apply to them and they have some sort of international immunity? If so I would put it to you that they are under more pressure to follow the rules and laws more precisely because of the "privileges" that they are afforded. With every privilege comes a responsibility.

They put themselves into the positions that they are in, they weren't thrust into them kicking and fighting to stay out of the positions they are in today. But many handle it fine. We're discussing Ryan Lochte who abused it, at best.

I couldn't have understood what you wrote. Because if I did understand it I'd like to see the laws that pertain to the special people and not to us. I'd also like to see where those laws supersede the laws of other countries.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Im sorry for any confusion. What I wanted to convey was that some athletes are coddled and feel entitled. They are allowed to get away with bad behavior because they can deliver something - a superlative performance, or someone is benefiting from their talents. Star running backs given a second chance for committing a crime whereas a normal college student may be kicked out of school, not just off the team.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks Sam. I knew you couldn't have meant what I thought I was getting from your post. :-) And at that hour I could have thought pretty much anything. But I couldn't put together anything else.

He did an interview with Matt Lauer today and I just got up and left the room. He was clearly lying. He was pulling the "I don't remember anything because I was intoxicated.", defense. Hmmm, he was walking fine. He knew how to act when confronted by security, and remembered it enough when he reported it. But he was too intoxicated to know what happened in the men's room, but remembers the rest of it clearly. He is full of feces. The more he speaks the bigger the hole he digs IMO. But maybe his fans will accept the BS. I didn't say a word, but my wife also mentioned that he was still lying.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Speedo has cancelled his endorsement contract.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I don't know if it's true but I read somewhere online that Brazil hasn't decided whether to prosecute him or not yet?
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

He won't go, and even if he ever found himself there, they have to prove their case with evidence and witnesses, and he gets to introduce evidence and witnesses of his own. Personally, I think it's escalated far beyond all reason. From all the fury and uproar, one would think this "international incident" will soon become a question of whether Brazil and USA declare mutual war. Ridiculous. Who would ever dream it could go this far.
Last edited by brothers on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

By next week the news cycle will be off on something new and this will be a distant memory. Of course, all he did will cost him dearly in the future. As my dad said, " he crapped in his Easter basket".
Best regards,

Basil
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

brothers wrote:He won't go, and even if he ever found himself there, they have to prove their case with evidence and witnesses, and he gets to introduce evidence and witnesses of his own. Personally, I think it's escalated far beyond all reason. From all the fury and uproar, one would think this "international incident" will soon become a question of whether Brazil and USA declare mutual war. Ridiculous. Who would ever dream it could go this far.
The only reason it has is because he's lied about it so many times. If he had just 'fessed up it wouldn't be news anymore. It would have been a news blip and done. At least that's my opinion.
Brian

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

pausted wrote:By next week the news cycle will be off on something new and this will be a distant memory. Of course, all he did will cost him dearly in the future. As my dad said, " he crapped in his Easter basket".
I think I'm officially stealing the phrase "crapped in his Easter basket" :D
Regards,
Mike