Which watch

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Which watch

Post by Sam »

Looking for a new watch, something to sport say from casual business to general weekend wear. I love guilloche work, but sometimes it may seem too something, maybe affected is the word. So here are three I am looking at

Number 1, silver face, quilloche work and this is a dark brown watch and 42mm. Worried it may be too big for my 6 7/8" wrist. Can dark brown work with black dress shoes if I do wear say a grey suit? Not many brown dress shoes in my arsenal

The black banded watch has lumed hands and lumed dots at the hours. Is this too casual for dress? 34mm watch and this one is the only one with a buckle closure, the other two have a deployant clasp.

The other brown watch has a simple face and also is like the first one, but no quiloche and a white face.

Comments, suggestions?
Kyle76

Re: Which watch

Post by Kyle76 »

Choose Door No. 2, Sam!
Jim
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

Choose the one with lumed hands.
brothers

Post by brothers »

My choice would be the black strapped watch with lumed hands and dots on the hours.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sam, I think the first and third look the most elegant, though the first one does look very large. My vote would therefore go for the third, for size and elegance. I also favor a brown leather strap, as it looks more natural to me. The caveat here is that I know very little about formal dress.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I like the look of the 2nd watch, but the hands of 1 and 3 are better because of their length....so, i wouldnt buy any of them LOL and would keep on looking

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I agree that the first watch, kinda a busy dial. maybe if it was all guilloche as a background. And for less than full dress, those Arabic numbers look best. 42mm, the third watch, may be too big since the watch is all face, not a big bezel. The middle watch, 34mm, well it got sold but is probably a bit small
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Got outbid for the Tissot
Brown strap on JLC, doable

so decided maybe for some fun, one of these "homage"

brothers

Post by brothers »

The cumbersome apparatus on the stem side seem a bit clunky looking. There's a lot of stuff going on in the face of the black one, and I'm wondering what the zero to forty scale represents in relation to the power reserve. In contrast, there doesn't seem to be any text on the face of the chrome one. Which one do you like best Sam?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I like the top of the two 'homage" or replicas. those are Panarei wannabes. Of the three earlier ones, i have a bid on the white face, brown band one.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I saw an ad in a magazine for a watch made by Steinhousen. Swiss movement; seven jewels; assembled in China. Mine was a model they called the thinnest watch made. Came in a massive case with two wrist bands; one black, the other brown. It had a saffier mineral face. Used it for years and loved it. Wore out both bands and a replacement. Currently has a lizard skin band. Price was about $100, I believe, but I will google it an modify my reply if necessary.
I just checked and I don't know what happened, but they now have more models than Timex and the prices run from $400 to $2500. Their fortunes have changed since I got mine, when there were only 2 or 3 models, all between $100 and #200. Sorry.
I did another search and found a lot of models from $89 o $200 on amazon.com. Mine is there for $89. It is the classic model.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

would love to have a Panarei real or otherwise haha....anyway, bottom version gets my vote

clive
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Sam, I am going through a watch phase as we speak and have been very impressed with Ebel, if you are looking to move a notch or two up from the Tissot, Ebel is the watch, in the past they we expensive but pricing has come way down. On the bay there are a bunch in the style you are after at very nice prices, if your willing to go the quartz route they are even cheaper. My last Ebel purchase was a variant of the Ebel sportwave, very pleased. Be warned, Ebels are a heavy watch, you know you are wearing it when on.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Clive, I have been lusting after this watch for some time now, just need to figure out how to get it in the house with out my better half noticing.. Sigh.. Hope another one does not come up for sale..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Breitling-Chron ... true&rt=nc
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Beautiful watch. I don't understand how you can see the hands in subdued light. Is there an led illuminating it at night?
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

No. But watch was 15 dollars. On eBay. Knockoff.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Ouchmychin wrote:Beautiful watch. I don't understand how you can see the hands in subdued light. Is there an led illuminating it at night?
when you're rich and famous like Sam is, being able to tell the time isn't necessary....you have people for that LOLOLOLOLOLOL
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

how to get it in the house with out my better half noticing
figure that out, write a book, become a gazzilionaire , and then buy them all!!! :D :D

clive

p.s. went on a seiko frenzy not that long ago:
"is that another new watch??"
"this one??....no I got that ages ago, I just havent worn it much" LOLOLOL i'm lucky i still have my head on :D :D