Penultimate

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
sgtrecon212

Penultimate

Post by sgtrecon212 »

Penultimate. A word seldom used and usually misused. I know what it means but I have a question.
If penultimate means roughly "second to last" and you have only two of something, for example a concert series with two performances; is the first concert also the penultimate?

I can't see me ever using the word, but just wondering.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
brothers

Re: Penultimate

Post by brothers »

True. In that case,the original is also the greatest!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I would never use the word to describe the next to last of a series of just two or three things. It might technically be correct, but it would be silly, IMO.
Jim
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

This word appears to be used more in Romance languages than it is in English. At least, that's my impression.

I would follow Jim's example of defining "penultimate" as "next to the last." As such, if we're talking about two items, which we would normally refer to as "first" and "last," the first would by definition also be the penultimate. As Jim noted, it would be rare to see the word used in such a case.

- Murray
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

Yeah, it's not a commonly used word, I was just kinda goofing around the other day and wondered. The subject came up in conversation when a man I work with used "decimate" to describe a complete wipe out of his parts stock. He, being a good friend, and me, being a smart ass.. I had to let him know he was using the word incorrectly.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
jthomas1264

Post by jthomas1264 »

If you really want to get wordy (or nerdy) a professor in our English department once mentioned that we were in the antepenultimate faculty meeting of the year. That's a word that you probably won't hear even if it is the antepenultimate game of the football season. Even spellcheck doesn't like it.

jt
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

jthomas1264 wrote:If you really want to get wordy (or nerdy) a professor in our English department once mentioned that we were in the antepenultimate faculty meeting of the year. That's a word that you probably won't hear even if it is the antepenultimate game of the football season. Even spellcheck doesn't like it. jt
I'm familiar with this word, but I can't say I have ever actually used it.

A lot of people mix up their ante- prefix with anti- . (One might note that the difference in meaning is significant.)

- Murray
J T

Post by J T »

Used by 'British' Motorsport TV commentators on a regular basis.
~ Jack
brothers

Post by brothers »

Penultimate can refer to a word's next to last syllable, called a penult.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444