Taking a break from the news

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Re: Taking a break from the news

Post by brothers »

kronos9 wrote:This is not, I repeat not, a political thread. Quite the opposite.

I'm detoxing from an overconsumption of news.

This is my second day going without reading the news of any kind, political blogs or websites. Whether it was on my phone first thing in the morning or on a computer during the day, I kept up with all the breaking news about elections, wars, natural disasters, murders, and everything else including the trevails of Hollywood stars and airbag recalls.

Enough. I figure if it's Earth-shatteringly important, that information will somehow find itself to me.

PS. I still check the weather.
It's been a full 6 months since Ed started this thread. I can't seem to escape the perpetual "breaking news" horse-whipping that's coming from all sides, even when I try to avoid it. When will this nightmare end? Everyone around me is sick of it, nobody wants to discuss any of the noise, and yet it's rising like a never-ending flood. Heaven help us ---- [-o<
P.S.: Friday I managed to completely avoid any form of incoming chatter from outside my own little universe for about 8 hours and then suddenly somebody says "did you see where . . . .!!!) Then it was back to the same old contentious blathering. I think I must try harder to pull away from it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Gary, I have started getting a little more selective on my use of social media. I have been a heavy social media user for some time. But filtering out the noise is helping m think more positively.

I really is amazing how surrounding ourselves with negativity...whether it be negative people, or negative media...really affects our general disposition.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

JayTrek wrote:Gary, I have started getting a little more selective on my use of social media. I have been a heavy social media user for some time. But filtering out the noise is helping m think more positively.

I really is amazing how surrounding ourselves with negativity...whether it be negative people, or negative media...really affects our general disposition.
Indeed. And negative people / media can include people and media who agree with you entirely. Bitterness, even when expressing your sentiments, is poisonous. I try to content myself with a 5-minute morning news update so I know what's going on and then leave it at that. These days there's very little analysis around and plenty of nastiness in its place.
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think I'll just keep on telling myself that there might be some good news tomorrow.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444