Black mildew

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
JayTrek

Black mildew

Post by JayTrek »

For several years, my shower has had a problem with black mildew. I clean it up every month or so.

What can I do to prevent it from coming back? Do I need to squeegee my shower after use?
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
ShadowsDad

Re: Black mildew

Post by ShadowsDad »

Dry will help, so will air movement. After drying the shower stall try spraying with a quaternary disinfectant. Don't wipe it off. Spray and just leave it.

Mildew loves moisture, stale air, and it must have organics to feed on. Remove any one of those and it's bye bye to mildew.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Re: Black mildew

Post by Rufus »

ShadowsDad wrote:Dry will help, so will air movement. After drying the shower stall try spraying with a quaternary disinfectant. Don't wipe it off. Spray and just leave it.

Mildew loves moisture, stale air, and it must have organics to feed on. Remove any one of those and it's bye bye to mildew.
I agree with all that. I'd add that an appropriately sized exhaust fan with a timer and vented to the outdoors is a must; turn the fan on when you enter the bathroom and allow it to run for half an hour after you've finished your shower. When you've finished leave the bathroom door and the shower door/curtain open.
Bryan