One of many favorite songs from the past

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

One of many favorite songs from the past

Post by brothers »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uQ2CeXhnfs

Poco - 1970 - they really don't make 'em like this anymore.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Re: One of many favorite songs from the past

Post by Rufus »

I'm showing my age with this: Buddy Holly, 'Peggy Sue', 1958. In fact any song by Buddy Holly. Great lose that he died so young, just 22, yet he accomplished so much in his 7 year career. A truly amazing and innovative musician.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, modern music and I don't have much that doesn't grind the gears. Clearly I'm an old fart, but I like good music and lyrics that can be understood and actually mean something of value. The music on my formative years were from the '60-'70s.

FWIW, the last rendition of whatever it was that the 3 gals sung at the Super Bowl was horrible. Sure they had good voices, but the song wasn't about them and they didn't figure that out. It was about the nation. This generation doesn't seem to understand that.

Case in point... Kate Smith. When I was a child I never appreciated her. But the older I get the more I appreciate her "God Bless America". It was sung from the heart and it was definitely NOT about her. It brings tears to my eyes to hear her sing it today. Her voice? Not that great, but her heart was in it and clearly it meant something to her. Things like that mean a great deal to me today. The 3 gals who sang what they did for the SuperBowl? I wouldn't give them a 2nd listen since it was all about them and they mean nothing to me. Kate Smith sung God Bless America with herself as being diminished and the song being what it was all about and it has stood the test of time so far. Again, this generation doesn't understand that value.

I bet you never heard the entire song. Come to think of it, her voice is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEJo7x9y3D4
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Rufus, I was surprised to learn a while back that (according to the Billboard chart) every Buddy Holly single was less successful than the one before.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

GA Russell wrote:Rufus, I was surprised to learn a while back that (according to the Billboard chart) every Buddy Holly single was less successful than the one before.
I can't say that I've heard that. Nevertheless, his influence on rock and roll is unquestioned. In the few short years he performed his legacy has been significant and transformational.
Bryan
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

All of the songs I grew up on were from the 80s.

So I grew up on Tears for Fears, Huey Lewis, Journey and the like.

I listen to 80s on 8 quite a bit.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Post by brothers »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgrYrEvh4FE

Slim Harpo - 1961 - Do you have the guts to listen to it all the way through just one time? I love it!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Baker Street, by Gerry Rafferty - 1978. The saxophone solo is magic to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Yi762sQTo
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've outlived the artists but still have the memories.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tuff Enuff by The Fabulous Thunderbirds (1986). The guitar on this one is played by Jimmie Vaughan, older brother of the late Stevie Ray Vaughan. Jimmie was an original member of TFB and left in 1990, the same year that Stevie lost his life in a helicopter crash. Jimmie is still living and I believe still performs occasionally. Both Jimmie and Stevie were popular at the blues club "Antone's" in Austin TX at one time. PS: Kim Wilson has been the lead singer of TFT since the inception.

Here's the link --- https://www.google.com/search?q=tuff+en ... 8&oe=utf-8
Last edited by brothers on Sun May 14, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

You Left Me Just When I Needed You Most written and performed by Randy VanWarmer in 1979. He was born 1955 and died in 2004. This was his only real hit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBOQgL731Ac
Gary

MotifSky

Post by MotifSky »

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I hate it when I get into one of these moods, thinking about things from the past. Here goes, Bobby Bare classics, 'Drop Kick Me Jesus through the goalposts of life' and 'Tequila Sheila'. :-$
Last edited by Rufus on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

My Lover's Prayer performed by Otis Redding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iALo6MCOQKI
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

If I Were a Carpenter written and performed (see the link) by Tim Hardin in 1966. I consider it a masterpiece in song writing. This one has been covered by artists such as Bobby Darin, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Joan Baez, and many others. . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RrRajjlo6M
Gary

mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

I am a Vietnam vet(USMC) and just don't care for most music as currently being blasted over the airways. Being very patriotic, my foremost pet peeve is how most artists(probably poor choice of words) have to reinvent the National Anthem. It is really sad for me to mute them as I just cannot listen. Once they are done, the crowd really roars, in my opinion it is because the artist is finally done!! Sorry, just had to express myself.
Mike
Tommy Redding

Post by Tommy Redding »

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, Tommy!

- Murray
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

mlb549 wrote:I am a Vietnam vet(USMC) and just don't care for most music as currently being blasted over the airways. Being very patriotic, my foremost pet peeve is how most artists(probably poor choice of words) have to reinvent the National Anthem. It is really sad for me to mute them as I just cannot listen. Once they are done, the crowd really roars, in my opinion it is because the artist is finally done!! Sorry, just had to express myself.

I, too, am a Viet Nam vet (Navy, Mekong Delta, PBR, task force 116) and I totally agree. If you can't sing it right then don't sing it at all.
Regards,
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

mlb549 wrote:I am a Vietnam vet(USMC) and just don't care for most music as currently being blasted over the airways. Being very patriotic, my foremost pet peeve is how most artists(probably poor choice of words) have to reinvent the National Anthem. It is really sad for me to mute them as I just cannot listen. Once they are done, the crowd really roars, in my opinion it is because the artist is finally done!! Sorry, just had to express myself.
Same here, (Army - Infantry). Some are better/worse than others.
Gary