Need to replace phone, Iphone 7, Galaxy 7 or 8

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Need to replace phone, Iphone 7, Galaxy 7 or 8

Post by Sam »

My HTC One M8 screen cracked. Local places won't touch it. I found that I might mess up the phone doing the repair myself. Do not qualify for the replacement program as my HTC will be 3 years old in June. So thinking to upgrade.

Iphone 7, thinking of trying to find one unlocked. Plus is that wife and children have Ipads and Iphones.

Love the Galaxy as far as the screen display. Told that they and the IPhones are easiest to get fixed locally. May be pricey but better than having to get new phone. Dont know any downsides to the 7 or the 8 or the Edge. Battery life, display and ease of use are important. Camera is less so. I guess with the 8 being brand new, prices are up there. Maybe I can get a deal on a 7 or 7 Edge. can someone compare the Edge to the regular 7 and to an Iphone? Where is a good place to get an unlocked one so I can use it with AT&T. What about pricing? I read that I need the product number to end in a U because that is compatible with the US Phones, and that the others are foreign phones and may not work well with the ATT here in Memphis
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Need to replace phone, Iphone 7, Galaxy 7 or 8

Post by fallingwickets »

Sam, if i were you I would do the following. I would buy a really good cheap phone (motorola / htc) and wait for two things to happen: The release of the new iphone later this year, or for deals on the new samsung s8 or s8+ (even now, some of the incentives for pre order of the s8 are quite decent (E.G $100 off at best buy)

The only thing you need to worry about when buying a phone (off of ebay or similar) for ATT is that it has a usa warranty. Any phone you buy in 2017 has radios in them for gsm networks (att, tmobile etc) The only time you have to check radio bands is when you want to be on verizon's network and that is only applicable for non samsung and apple phones. Samsung and apple, fortunately, work everywhere!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, I did go to best buy and got the $100 for the 8+, which made it $749.00. And free financing over 24 months through ATT. Will get a case and a tempered glass screen protector, never had to get one of those before. I thought Wife had a Iphone 6, but it was a 5 and had been acting wonky. She got a new Iphone 7 Plus and loves the bigger size. 34 gig for $769, but she is happy.

For me, it was the brightness of the colors on the Samsung display, that and it is Android-
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

well then, congrats and use in good health! :D I wouldnt use the extra glass protection for two reasons: 1. it takes away from the 'natural' display. 2. it will never fit the screen properly which may not matter to you, but it would drive me NUTZ and lastly with gorilla glass 5 i cant imagine the use to begin with

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Was talking to a friend and telling them I pre-ordered a Galaxy S8 +, and they told me they were going to Verizon to get a new phone, but not a Samsung. They offered to wipe it and see if Verizon would onlock it. Looks in great shape. Price would be $150.00. It is the S7Edge

I pre-ordered a S*+ at Best Buy. Can I cancel it without penalty (activated through ATT). Will I have problems getting it activated at ATT? And anything I need to look out for before I do the deal?

Never done something like this
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It seems you have a number of choices there Sam, may I suggest the frugal approach. Walmart sells a cell phone for $14.59. Mine's a dandy that makes phone calls (can't imagine what else I'd use it for) and survived a mauling from a very energetic puppy.
Regards,
Squire