Operating system

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Operating system

Post by brothers »

This PC has Windows Vista. If I upgrade what should I install? Are they expensive? I have read somewhere that 10 is not well-liked.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nitrox
AC/DC

Re: Operating system

Post by Nitrox »

Upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate. Very similar to Vista and a lot less telemetry sending back info to Microsoft.
I plan on sticking to 7 as long as I can. People are still using XP which is not supported any more but a lot lighter and easier to use in my opinion than Windows 8.1 or 10.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I upgraded to Win10 and I thought that it would be horrible. It isn't. I don't know how many resources it uses though. One thing I didn't like was all of the Big Brother stuff MS added to it, so I deactivated all of it.

I think it was win8 that was the horror show.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, my desktop computer runs Windows Vista, also, and I have been happy with it. Lack of support for it by Microsoft and others is concerning, however.

I just bought a new notebook computer that runs Windows 10 and it does look different. I just got it today so I will undoubtedly need to adjust to it. I'm hopeful that I will like it once I get used to it.

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

I like 7, will use it till I can't anymore. Work machine is 7.

My son recommends 10 - says if I will only just use it I would appreciate how good it is.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore