Best Nail Clippers

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
TCN

Best Nail Clippers

Post by TCN »

I just lost a pair of stainless nail clippers (flat folding, French company I think, for some odd reason I want to say "I.M. Pei" :lol: ), so I need a replacement. Who makes the absolute best nail clippers (I absolutely hate clippers that go dull early), preferrably ones that fold flat.

Thanks.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I've been meaning to try these AG Russell clippers.

They're stamped "France", so maybe the OEM is the make you're thinking of.

Scott
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

I use the ones sold by Brookstone. They are made in Solingen, although Brookstone puts their own name on them, so I don't really know who makes them. It wouldn't surprise me if it was Merkur/Dovo, actually, but don't quote me on that. At any rate, they are quite good. I've had the complete set for over four years now, and they are still going strong.

Nathan
slcsteve

Post by slcsteve »

I have a pair of nail clippers marked 'cutiecut' Germany that I've owned for at least 20, years. They show lots of wear and I've used the handle as a pry bar, etc. but they are still as clean cutting as they were when they were new......at least it seems that way. When I did a Google search for cutiecut germany what came up was some cutiecut clippers, made in France, that looked exactly like my Germany cutiecuts.

Steve
DoubleE

Post by DoubleE »

I have a pair of PaRaDa made my Feather from Classicshaving and they are very nice. The clippings are caught inside the handle which opens up to be emptied. No one around you is injured by flying fingernails! They have a small, medium, and large available. I have the medium for all-round duty and they work great.

http://www.classicshaving.citymax.com/c ... 992129.htm

Jerry
TCN

Post by TCN »

Sorry, I thought "General" was for "men's grooming", and "off-topic" was for matters "unrelated" to men's grooming. :?:

Appreciate the reponses, I ordered the Russells. :D
rossar01

Post by rossar01 »

TCN,
I'm a little late as you've already ordered, but the best clippers i've found are these here: http://www.zwilling.com/country/ww/lang ... es_start=0 .They really are of the highest quality!
Big Ren wrote:I recently purchased the Dovo "Toro" SS Nail Scissors from Classicshaving which are of extremely high quality.
Ren, Iam also interested in purchasing the 'Toro' Nail Nippers.I noticed the Dovo emblem is stamped on the Nippers, is this ink or has the motif been stamped with a punch?

Regards,
Ross.
Mindflux

Post by Mindflux »

wtf is the diff between a nipper and scissors?

all i've used all my life are the fold up kind, for both feet and hands?

do you use the nippers for feet and scissors for hands or something?
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I have all three sizes of the Feather Clippers - they are definetly a well crafted item. Modern in design, very, very sharp (as one might expect from a Feather), nice weight and balance and some good ol' fashion Japanese ingenuity found in the nail clipping catching mechanism. Recommended without hesitation.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
JJSilver

Post by JJSilver »

On the other side of that opinion - I totally hate Feather's design. While it's a beautifully crafted clipper, the 'nail catching' slide is infuriating. I end up switching to a cheapo key chain clipper because the slide won't lock out of the way, interferes with seeing the blades, makes holding the thing unsure and is just one of the worst design choices I've seen on an item in a while. Of course maybe I can't figure out how to use the thing. I'm thinking about drilling out the grommet and yanking off the slide. It would have been really great to have a classic nail clipper made well. But they went and screwed with it and slapped on this 'improvement.'

Jeff S
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Thanks for this bit of information. I have to cut my nails quite close, and prefer to see clearly what I'm doing.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

JJSilver wrote:On the other side of that opinion - I totally hate Feather's design. While it's a beautifully crafted clipper, the 'nail catching' slide is infuriating. I end up switching to a cheapo key chain clipper because the slide won't lock out of the way, interferes with seeing the blades, makes holding the thing unsure and is just one of the worst design choices I've seen on an item in a while. Of course maybe I can't figure out how to use the thing. I'm thinking about drilling out the grommet and yanking off the slide. It would have been really great to have a classic nail clipper made well. But they went and screwed with it and slapped on this 'improvement.'

Jeff S
Interesting - My Feathers don't seem to exhibit the same issues as yours does. The sliding mechanism has a slight click to it that locks it in place. The edges of the slide are about .5mm short of the cutting blades - so they are clearly exposed. Maybe your grommet is loose and messing up the slide?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
JJSilver

Post by JJSilver »

Hi Ravi - it may be that it's loose - this is the small one, in fully closed position there is a very small v-notch, which to me doesn't let you see the blades very well. This slide doesn't lock either in open or closed position, and is loose enough that however you hold the thing it's not a sure grip.

The grommet seemed tight enough, but I took a pliers and gave the grommet a little squeeze so it was as tight as could be - and I still didn't like it. Fortunately it was no big deal to pop the grommet and now I'm happy with it.

Jeff S.
TCN

Re: Best Nail Clippers

Post by TCN »

TCN wrote:I just lost a pair of stainless nail clippers (flat folding, French company I think, for some odd reason I want to say "I.M. Pei" :lol: ), so I need a replacement. Who makes the absolute best nail clippers (I absolutely hate clippers that go dull early), preferrably ones that fold flat.

Thanks.
I happened to find my long lost clippers today, the company whose name appears on them looks to be "P. Cloi", or possibly "P. L. Cloi" (tough to read the particular stylized script).