Spare Wheels and Slime

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
drmoss_ca
Admin

Spare Wheels and Slime

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've never bought a car without a spare tire, though I understand car makers often include a roadside repair kit these days instead of a tire. Since I'm trying to save space in the little Miata trunk for a trip, I've bought a Slime (that's the brand) kit that is a fraction of the size of the emergency donut spare. It's a small 12V compressor and a can of latex sealant, which claims that the repair is good for 500 miles:

I hope I won't have the chance to find out if this was a good move, but in the meantime, has anyone had any experience of these?

Once the trip is over (hopefully completed without the use of a flatbed), the Miata is going for rehab, involving new paint, a new tan soft top, and some new gold wheels. Then it can sit smugly in a garage through the snows, waiting impatiently for the spring.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Spare Wheels and Slime

Post by fallingwickets »

replying to follow. reviews on amazon seem decent. is the canadian version of aaa an option for you?

I know...very unmanly, however even if i had a spare, Im calling aaa to fix any tyre issues :roll: :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

When I replaced the godawful OEM run flat tires on my BMW Z4 with 'proper' high performance radials I bought something similar to your Slime kit. I haven't had to use it...yet, but the car rides a whole lot better with regular radials than with the OEM run flat radials. Also, I did have a puncture in one of the rear run flats, but it couldn't be repaired properly because of its location; that's when I discovered that a run flat radial costs nearly twice as much as a regular high performance radial and that I would have to replace both rear tyres. In consequence, I bought a full set of Conti high performance radials for just a fraction more than two run flat radials. Moreover, the ride is less harsh than it was and the car handles better. BMW, however, equips its cars and SUVs with only run flats and refuses to offer regular radials because the vehicle will not have a spare...duh. On the other hand, my wife's Audi Q5 is equipped with regular radials and comes with a deflated mini spare and and electric air pump. That's one reason we bought the Audi SUV over the equivalent BMW SUV, because we didn't like the harsher ride of the BMW.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Another reason to try this is that cars designed to have an emergency donut as a spare may have trouble carrying the full-size wheel and tire it replaces. I could, I think get a full size wheel in the Miata trunk, but only at the cost of leaving all the luggage at the roadside. I could probably get it onto the passenger seat, but ditto repeato re roadside and Pippa. Pippa has CAA membership, but where we are going there may be no cell signal and even if there is, help may be many hours away.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Bryan, i had a little 3 series that had run flats, but i bought a coverage policy on them and while I'm sure most consider that a salesman's dream upsale, I got so much use out it they probably celebrated when they heard i sold the car!

Chris, safe travels. Hope you have a wonderful holiday. I'm sure that because you have a 'slime' in your trunk you wont need it :D

clive
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

No experience but it seems a dandy idea. Though I maintain a sunny disposition I expect trouble presents itself on the edge of cell reception.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Enjoy your trip, Chris; it sounds as though it'll be fun, especially in the Miata. With luck you won't have to use the Slime, but if you do, please report on its effectiveness.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

The device looks like a good concept. Especially when dealing with a restricted amount of storage.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Some of that canned stuff will eat up your wheels. It ruined the wheels on my boat trailer. I guess if the car manufacturer includes it, it's OK.
Jim
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Chris, as Jim stated it can eat up your wheels, once you use the stuff you will need to replace the tire, the slime puts the wheel out of balance. Great peace of mind if you don't mind replacing a tire that could have been patched or plugged. I carry a tire plug kit with a $20 pump in my cars, you can easily plug a tire on the road permanently in 10 minutes.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Whistler wrote:Chris, as Jim stated it can eat up your wheels, once you use the stuff you will need to replace the tire, the slime puts the wheel out of balance. Great peace of mind if you don't mind replacing a tire that could have been patched or plugged. I carry a tire plug kit with a $20 pump in my cars, you can easily plug a tire on the road permanently in 10 minutes.
Please elaborate. What product have you used? I carry a Slime equivalent in my car, but didn't know that it is corrosive.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Apparently it washes off with water before the plug is inserted for definitive repair.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Do not use the canned stuff if you have sensors in your tires like I did on my 3 series convertible. You know since my car did not come with the spare, always had the number of Triple A or myself phone had roadside assistance and so did my BMW
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

This is supposed to leave pressure sensors unharmed, but that won't matter to me - I don't have them. Nor airbags, traction control, stability control, ABS or A/C. :D

So, no one has used this stuff? Let's hope I'm not the guinea pig!

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Bryan, most if not all the "fix a flat in a can" products use the same chemicals, I had a can in my wife's car (slime) for peace of mind, she used it one day a few years back, got her home, no muss no fuss, when I took the tire to be patched I was informed it needed to be replaced. The slime starts to oxidize the rim, not an issue if you take the tire for repair quickly and have the slime cleaned out. What I did not know is the slime bonds to the rubber which can not be cleaned which in turn puts the tire so far out of balance it needs to be replaced. Home safe and the cost of one tire not so big a deal, but, if you have an all wheel drive car with 50% of the tread worn off and you use this stuff you will be looking at a four tire replacement, when for $10 you could have had the tire patched or plugged.
Regards,
Marty

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Chris, the product works and works well, you will get home safe and sound.
Regards,
Marty

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

How did your trip go, Chris?

Ive just got back from a 2252 miler myself. This thread had me a little concerned and so before i left i took my car to the dealer and had the tyres checked. One tyre had several small metal pieces in it...thee mechanic pulled them out and patched the tyre. Peace of mind is priceless! Anyway, had a great and -touch wood- safe trip

clive

p.s. nice to see you out and about Marty :)
Attachments
Tyre debris.jpg
Tyre debris.jpg (126.14 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Leaving tomorrow, although for a few days I thought we'd have to cancel it. Turns out the wide excision of P's melanoma will be the week after.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

let us know when youre back safely and post a few of your fantastic pics!

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Have a fun and safe trip!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444