Tilley hat - LTM5 Airflo

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rufus

Tilley hat - LTM5 Airflo

Post by Rufus »

I'm looking for a brimmed hat that's crushable (for travel), rugged and not hot. Up until now I've been wearing an old cotton duck Tilley sailing hat I bought 30 years ago for travel, but I find it just too hot although it has stood up well to the rigours of travel. I have my eye on the Tilley LTM5 Airflo, which appears to be light weight and crushable, weather resistant and designed to allow air to circulate. There is one review of the hat on the Tilley website written 21 July 2017 by Wendell (I assume this is "our" Wendell because he's a real Tilley hat aficionado), which speaks highly of the hat. Does anyone else have first hand knowledge of this hat? I have a very hot head, so I'm looking for a hat that won't make my head feel as though it's in a sauna on a hot summer's day. When I'm at home in the summer I wear an Italian-made straw hat, which I find quite pleasant. For travel, however, it's very impractical since it's not crushable/packable, is somewhat delicate and can't be worn in wet weather.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Re: Tilley hat - LTM5 Airflo

Post by ShadowsDad »

My summer hat is a Tilley Airflow but I don't crush mine. An older gent not long ago was wearing The same hat as mine and he stopped me to ask how I kept the brim looking so good. We determined that he crushed his and I don't. It'll work just as good after it's been crushed it just won't look as nice.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My T4 is definitely crushable, my LTM5 Airflow much less so. I simply take much better care of it. The only hats I have more of than Tilleys are flat caps. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Several weeks or months ago when I last visited the Tilley website and read the reviews I also noticed Wendell's unmistakable posting style.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444