Cuban coffee

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Cuban coffee

Post by brothers »

Looking for recommendations. I've never tried it. I've started seeing one brand of it (yellow label?) on grocery store shelves. I prefer my coffee a little on the mild side, not so much into the bold dark robust etc.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
malocchio

Re: Cuban coffee

Post by malocchio »

Then be careful , Bustelo coffee is Arabica low grade beans mixed with bitter Robusta beans....Most Cubans use sweetened condensed milk or plenty of sugar in their aluminum mocha pot made coffee, you better taste a Greek coffee first, they use lots of Robusta beans as well....
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary if you like your coffee on the light side, cuban isnt the way to go im sorry to say....to my taste it is stronger than expresso by a long shot

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote:Gary if you like your coffee on the light side, cuban isnt the way to go im sorry to say....to my taste it is stronger than expresso by a long shot

clive
I must give Cuban coffee a try since I like my coffee strong, complex and flavourful.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote:Gary if you like your coffee on the light side, cuban isnt the way to go im sorry to say....to my taste it is stronger than expresso by a long shot

clive
Clive, I think you are right about that! I'll probably mark that one off my list.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I like my coffee very strong (If light shines through it, it's too weak!), full-bodied, and mellow, so it sounds like I would probably like Cuban coffee.

Weak coffee, on the other hand, is like drinking from a puddle. I'd rather not.

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

I prefer a more robust coffee myself. Cuban is nice when done well.

On a side note - the ever-funny French feel this way about American coffee:

"...The nickname which the French give to corporate brands of coffee such as Starbucks: jus de chaussettes..."

Translated: Sock Juice
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

Only twice have I forked over the big bucks and got the "regular" coffee from Starbucks. That stuff is so strong and bitter I can't even drink it.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I've never really liked Starbucks brewed coffee. It's a very dark roast, which I'm guessing is what you didn't like about it, Gary.

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

CMur12 wrote:I've never really liked Starbucks brewed coffee. It's a very dark roast, which I'm guessing is what you didn't like about it, Gary.

- Murray
Definitely YMWV. My favourite coffee is Starbucks' Kamodo Dragon, which is about as strong as it gets at Starbucks. I buy the beans and brew it at home in an Italian Mocha Pot. Puts hair on your chest, as my father would say. :mrgreen:
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

You're a better man than me, Gunga Din! :D
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The appeal of Cuban Coffee (Starbucks as well) is heavy flavoring so the underlying coffee only has to be strong.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

brothers wrote:Only twice have I forked over the big bucks and got the "regular" coffee from Starbucks. That stuff is so strong and bitter I can't even drink it.

A barista I respect told me that Starbucks over-roasts the beans to give it a distinctive flavor profile so that people recognize it.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I agree Sam, the over roast is intentional, not to make a better cup of coffee but to increase profit by selling the additional flavorings.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Nonetheless, and I have no basis on which to refute or support this claim, I love Starbucks Kamodo Dragon. I brew mine at home in an Italian moka pot every morning. I take it without any flavouring or additives and it’s my favourite cup of “Joe”.
Bryan