Forged in Fire

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Forged in Fire

Post by brothers »

This is a program seen on the History Channel. I first became aware of Forged in Fire back in January. I'm not a knifemaker but my late brother was a good one. I know he would have enjoyed the program as much as I do, or more. It's a well done show. Every show they have three or four authentic blacksmiths/bladesmiths from all over the country (USA) who will actually forge specific knives over the period of one entire day in the studio shop, followed by five days in their home forge. The smiths compete for $10k to the person whose knives are judged to be the best at the end of the show. All I can say is that you've got to watch it once or twice to fully understand the process. The day of the show, they are given one specific type of knife to make to certain exact specifications. The judges sit and watch them work. At the end of the day, there two competitors remaining. They are then given five days at their home forge (accompanied by an observer representing the integrity of the show) in which to create (completely from scratch of course) a very specific example of large historically accurate swords, knives, axes or other types of hand-forged weapons that have been used over the centuries throughout the world.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Forged in Fire

Post by fallingwickets »

sounds like a great show, Gary. I'll have to look online for episodes as i dont have access to the history channel

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

The episode I watched today (recorded about 6 months ago) was very entertaining. One of the contestants was from my home state, in a little town over near Tulsa.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I like knives, and I especially like knives made of carbon steel.

I have watched a few of these and it's a pretty good show.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

carbon steel
:-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ its supposed to be a secret!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

fallingwickets wrote:
carbon steel
:-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ its supposed to be a secret!!

clive
Oh! :shock:

Got it!

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I understand the third season is underway, I'm watching recordings of the past season (2?) and I believe someone said there was a season before that. I will poke around to see if that is accurate. I'd like to watch as many episodes as possible.
Gary

Revan

Post by Revan »

brothers wrote:I understand the third season is underway, I'm watching recordings of the past season (2?) and I believe someone said there was a season before that. I will poke around to see if that is accurate. I'd like to watch as many episodes as possible.
Where can I watch it?
Last edited by Revan on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Revan, welcome to SMF!

The program is on the History Channel.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I knew I saw it somewhere on my Kindle. The History Channel has an app. That's where I saw it. (Fire Stick too)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square