Boots

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Boots

Post by Sam »

I went to Bass Pro Shops and looked at a number of boots. I tried on some Ariat boots and they were nice . It really had a thick inner sole, putting my foot up way high. I then went to a Western boot store and they had double h boot and some Dan post ostrich boots. The Dan post boots are traditional cowboy boots and those are the ones I got.
I had worn boots like 35 years ago when they 1st came out in the urban cowboy era. I must have been fit improperly because they squished my toes and I never were wore them. A friend of mine told me to go to a traditional boots fitter and made sure I get fit correctly. I wear a 9 in a dress shoe but these boots are 10.5. I'd worry that there was a lot of heel slippage when I tried them on but the guy told me that they would break in and I would not notice it. Had worn them 4 to 5 hours already and I promise you the heel slippage is getting less and less noticeable. Also my toes are not squashed

I did try on at Dillard's a pair of Doc Marten boots that had a steel toe. I really like those but I almost felt like Frankenstein because I felt like my foot was an extra 2 or 3" off the ground. The double H boots were not as bad but they also had my feet off the ground. The cowboy boots seem to have a higher heel which puts My heel above the ball of my foot but then the shoe is made so that the arch of my foot is fully supported.

A cowboy boots certainly looks different on me but it's almost like I have a WTF feeling and just going with it

Last edited by Sam on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Congratulations on finding a pair of boots that suit you, Sam. Take good care of them (keep them polished) and they'll last you a long time.

What I don't like about suede is that there is no way to take care of them, such as polishing. When they age and deteriorate, there isn't much you can do about it. These boots should hold up and serve you well.

- Murray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Yes. I have but one pair of suede - loafers. The insoles in these Dan Post is a comfort flex system. Not cork. Id have gone Tecovas But the suggestion to get fit in person was what I needed. Tocova's site told me to go with a 9D which is my dress shoe size, but in the store I never tried anything on less than a 10 .These are a size 10.5, which is what I wear in a running shoe. I'm liking the look of ostrich, which kind of draws attention to the eye rather than a regular pair or calfskin.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

How much looseness is too much? Got a 10.5 boot and wear 9 in loafers. Though with tennis shoes sometimes also a 10.5
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Not sure about that, Sam. I wear the same size, with only very minor variations according to brand, in walking shoes, work boots, and loafers. I did buy some fleece-lined slippers two sizes longer than my norm, but that is the only exception in my case. My guess is that, if you are wearing tennis shoes and boots in 10.5 and loafers in 9.0, your loafers may be too small in order to make them stay on your feet. If this is true, it is a potential cause of harm and your feet may not work with loafers.

- Murray
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Sam, I love that pecan ostrich. It’s exactly what I’ll order if I decide to try Tecovas. I’m pretty sure they ship and return for free, so I’m not too concerned about buying without trying on. Here’s a link to the Lucchese site on how boots should fit. Enjoy those boots, non-cowboy! They will look great with a lot of outfits.

https://www.lucchese.com/fitguide
Jim
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Murray, all my shoes other than running shoes are 9 or European 42. Many boots, like Ariat, a 9 would not allow me to even get my foot into it. He used a Brannock device. Maybe he grabbed the wrong pair? I'll call tomorrow.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, I am so glad I went locally to get my first pair of cowboy boots. Guy tells me to slip them on, and he notices right away that the foot goes in to easy. Says that it is an issue of volume in the instep. That is, my foot is not filling up the shoe between the inner sole and the top of the vamp, so I have thinner feet. Put an orthotic insole under the insole that came with the boot, and it works. Now my boot feels snug over the instep and still allow the heel to slip, but not sloppy like it was. The shoe, being new, will still stretch.

So, while there, I checked out some Lucchese and a pair of black cherry boots, Dan Post, but smooth calfskin instead of ostrich, and with the stitching that is common on the toe area. The Lucchese seemed like they had a better quality of leather, a little more softer, than the Dan Post, but $335 versus $175.00.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Kyle76 wrote:Tecovas look good at a good price. Hand made in Mexico. Haven’t actually tried them.
Might be tempted to try them yet. Wish they had black cherry. I am loving my Dan Post, but maybe a pair of Lucchesse may be for me? They have a lower priced line, some sub-$400.00, and then sorta jump up over $600.00.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Rufus wrote:I have a pair of Lucchese ropers in black cherry I wear them with jeans, chinos, grey flannels and blue blazer, tan trousers with a sports coat and even a suit. They have a low heel, like a shoe's, and are very comfortable even for extend periods.

You know, I am not against ropers, but I am sorta digging the higher heel. It is different than anything I have ever worn, but it seems to put more weight on the ball of my foot and well, not bad.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Sam, check out cowboychief.com. They have some good prices on Lucchese. Might be something there you like.
Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sam wrote:So, while there, I checked out some Lucchese and a pair of black cherry boots, Dan Post, but smooth calfskin instead of ostrich, and with the stitching that is common on the toe area. The Lucchese seemed like they had a better quality of leather, a little more softer, than the Dan Post, but $335 versus $175.00.
I think the Lucchese are worth the money. I've had my ropers for 20 years and I'd say there are good for another 20. I should note that my Lucchese ropers are the only western-style boot that fit me properly as I have a high instep that is very sensitive to pressure. I've tried cowboy boots (Tony Lama and Lucchese), but the higher heel was not comfortable at all. My foot is difficult to fit and SWMBO won't go shoe/boot shopping with me as I can try on a dozen pairs and walk out the shop empty handed.
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Bryan, I will probably have to try them on and Lucchese seems to be a brand without discounting. The black cherry looks a bit better than pure black, but the boot guy told me that sometimes they can come in looking more burgundy or oxblood. I probably make go just calfskin since they will be more for dress, and I don't think the Lizard or especially the Ostrich shows up much with the darker color. These cognac ostrich boots, you can tell the bumps. Not a full skin ostrich, some part of it is smooth, but the captoe with the quills sure draw attention.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam, how does one define feeling like Frankenstein? :D Is that a bad thing --- he's just a big cuddly bear. I think you might find it's fun to be able to stand an inch taller than normal --- Plus, the steel toes are really masculine!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

The pair of Dan Post Pugh - the ostrich. I wear a 9D normally and it took a 10.5 D for me to get my foot in. I could with a 10D but she said I would overwalk the boot. Anyway, the 10.5, it has some arch support but it is not super comfy. I tried on some Ariat and Double H boots, rubber sole, and they felt like they had my foot up even higher off the ground, not bad per se,but different. I also saw some Doc Marten Icon industrial boots, very thick sole, very thick toe, but oh so comfy.

I did try on some Luchesse Carson calf skin in a 9D, those were awesome.

So, do I give the Dan Post more time to mold to my feet and have me experience what it is like, that is, wearing a true boot? Do I turn them back in and go for the Ariat or Double H which are not as stylish but more of a work boot?

Just wondering how boots should feel. Chukka boots are nice and look great but offer no real support.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Ah Sam, you have to go with the Lucchese Carsons, especially if they're awesome. Just go for it. :mrgreen:
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

[quote="Rufus"]Ah Sam, you have to go with the Lucchese Carsons, especially if they're awesome. Just go for it. :mrgreen:[/quote

I may get them anyway. Deciding on the ostrich I have or returning them for the Ariat or Double H. Totally work boots. More rustic and casual. Not as eye catching. Wondering if I am expecting too much of the Post or if I should be expecting total comfort fit after 4 wears
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sam wrote:
Rufus wrote:Ah Sam, you have to go with the Lucchese Carsons, especially if they're awesome. Just go for it. :mrgreen:[/quote

I may get them anyway. Deciding on the ostrich I have or returning them for the Ariat or Double H. Totally work boots. More rustic and casual. Not as eye catching. Wondering if I am expecting too much of the Post or if I should be expecting total comfort fit after 4 wears
They're calling to you Sam, I can hear them. \:D/ :-#
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Keep the Post or get the Ariats Or Double h
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have had Allen Edmonds boots fail to fit despite their elaborate draw-round-your-foot thing. Actually going into a shop works far better, and I have Blundstone and Doc Marten boots as a result that I can walk all day in. There is no substitute for boots that fit properly. Once you can walk around you can then figure out how to make fire, provide shelter, hunt food etc. Boots first.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace