New Year, New You?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
maskaggs

New Year, New You?

Post by maskaggs »

Maybe a way to address, by the by, recent discussion re: vigor and vitality here...

Anyone have particular hopes for personal development or growth in the New Year? New projects? New hobbies?
Regards,
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: New Year, New You?

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm doing more 10"x8" paper negatives:

and shaving when I remember.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

2018 is going to be a year of 'consolidation' for me having just become a father 5 days ago, being made redundant in early December and starting a new job in a very different industry in three weeks time.

Because so much is going on right now, my personal goals for 2018 are simply to give everything I've got to my wife and daughter, and to throw myself in to my new work. I'm also hoping (time permitting) to hang around here a little more often and give this hobby some more attention again.

Happy New Year to all.

Gareth
pausted

Post by pausted »

Happy New Year, Gareth. Congratulations on your new daughter and best of luck with your new job.
Best regards,

Basil
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Congratulations on your fatherhood, Gareth. It's good to have you back.

- Murray
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Thanks Basil, thanks Murray. It’s only a few days in and I’m already loving fatherhood. It’s a big change for sure, but it feels great.

Gareth
brothers

Post by brothers »

Congratulations Gareth. A new baby and new job going into a new year will make for a wonderful new part of your life. All the best!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Mazel's Gareth and best of luck in the new job

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
J T

Post by J T »

Congratulations Gareth and the best of all possibilities.
~ Jack
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Gareth,

Congrats to you and the Mrs on the birth of your daughter. One word of warning and this comes from experience. Be careful that little girl will have you wrapped around her finger in not time at all. And also know that those little girls in our lives tend to grow up really fast. Both you and the Mrs. enjoy raising her to be a wonderful woman and mom someday.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Because of declining health, COPD, heart problems, knee problems I have had to scale way way back on stuff I can do. The COPD is the biggest problem. So since I can't get out and around as much as I used to I decided to try doing something creative. My daughter has convinced me to give crochet a try. She loves it and finds that it is often stress relieving when she is dealing with her two kids.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

ThePossum wrote:Because of declining health, COPD, heart problems, knee problems I have had to scale way way back on stuff I can do. The COPD is the biggest problem. So since I can't get out and around as much as I used to I decided to try doing something creative. My daughter has convinced me to give crochet a try. She loves it and finds that it is often stress relieving when she is dealing with her two kids.
Then it'll be time to open an Etsy store for us to buy shave-themed items :D
Regards,
Mike
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Thanks again for everyone’s best wishes. I’m sure everything will work out well.

Bryce - crochet and knitting are wonderful stress-relievers and can also be useful for easing arthritis and other mental health issues. The business I was made redundant from last month was actually a supplier of yarn for crochet and knitting so it’s an industry I know a lot about.

Thanks for your advice about my daughter and I can already recognise what you’re saying there!

All the best with your health issues and I hope you can make a successful recovery with them.

Gareth
Gene

Post by Gene »

Gareth - It IS nice to have you back in the fold. Congrats on your daughter - as the father of two of them I can certainly offer 2 thumbs up to all the advice and warnings offered so far.

I have quite a few personal challenges for myself for 2018. I need to get back in the saddle from an exercise standpoint, and I have several milestones I am pursuing in my shooting and photo hobbies, as well as a few professionally.

My wife got her real estate license last year, and is working with Keller Williams here in Austin. Gary Keller is a HUGE proponent of a philosophy called: The One Thing. I just read the book, and the wife and I went to a 2 day retreat about it a few weeks ago. It's funny - but looking at just a couple of things in the book make me realize lots of changes I can implement to make life better, and to see things the way I should have seen them long ago. Goal setting and time blocking are hard to implement - but have a huge potential to help me do more and have more fun doing it.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

New stuff on my list: walking more, eat healthier, review better financial management, read more, find new opportunities to better meet the needs of an elderly family member, set and meet more specific goals related to all above. Almost forgot one --- listen to my wife more.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

listen to my wife more.
is that code for just say yes more often??? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

That is correct! :lol:
Gary

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I'd like to embrace a two-word philosophy for everything but the most important things: "Good enough." It's tempting and easy to find fault or something to complain about in every situation, event, material things, etc., and complaining about that kind of thing is really just an unnecessary distraction from being content.
Regards,
Mike