Lung ailments - post-tobacco - causes thereof

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Lung ailments - post-tobacco - causes thereof

Post by brothers »

All of a sudden we see and hear that it's a wonderful post-tobacco world in which our youth can huff and puff away all day and all night long on vapor and marijuana like there's no tomorrow. Light 'em up kids! Let's spend our money and smoke smoke smoke those vape pipes and joints with no cares! ! Is there some universal authority somewhere who has issued a decree that our lungs are as safe as can be just stay away from tobacco and your cardiovascular system will be as clean and clear as a newborn babe? I call BS on this.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Lung ailments - post-tobacco - causes thereof

Post by drmoss_ca »

No one can say for sure that vaping is safe or not as yet (especially given that the products are almost always made in China where respect for manufacturing standards and product purity are not foremost). However, it is pretty much certain to be safer than tobacco smoking, so in the interests of harm reduction, it is a step in the right direction. My experience with helping patients quit is that if they vape it will replace cigarettes painlessly, and vaping is relatively easy to quit for the next stage.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I view marijuana smoking akin to smoking unfiltered Camel cig's on the lungs.

Folks are serving themselves up to be guinea pigs and paying $ for the "pleasure". (OK, so I'm told that smoking MJ is pleasurable, but I don't think so.)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote:No one can say for sure that vaping is safe or not as yet (especially given that the products are almost always made in China where respect for manufacturing standards and product purity are not foremost). However, it is pretty much certain to be safer than tobacco smoking, so in the interests of harm reduction, it is a step in the right direction. My experience with helping patients quit is that if they vape it will replace cigarettes painlessly, and vaping is relatively easy to quit for the next stage.

C.
I agree. I have a friend who would be lost without hope if not for vapor that has replaced his hated cigarettes. The MJ smoke is a whole different thing and who knows what kinds of stuff are found in vapor.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I have a friend who would be lost without hope if not for vapor that has replaced his hated cigarettes
two suggestions:
1. cut the non smoking timeframe to minutes instead of forever E.G. I'm not going to smoke for the next 10 minutes (minutes turn into hours, hours into days etc)
2. eat radish instead of smoking

i started stealing my moms cigarettes in my early teens (55 now) and chain smoked 5 packs a day for almost a decade. I quite 'cold turkey' on 20th may 2008. The radish were a godsend

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

ShadowsDad wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:09 am I view marijuana smoking akin to smoking unfiltered Camel cig's on the lungs.

Folks are serving themselves up to be guinea pigs and paying $ for the "pleasure". (OK, so I'm told that smoking MJ is pleasurable, but I don't think so.)
In theory, I agree. The main difference though is nobody is smoking two packs of joints a day. Well..maybe Willie Nelson. :lol:

In any case, it definitely cannot be great for the lungs.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil