Boots for heavy rain

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Boots for heavy rain

Post by Sam »

Tired of wearing some Sperry topsiders in the rain only to have them sorta leak when i step in puddles. It gets maybe 3 days of snow a year here in Memphis so snow boots might be overkill. Also, the winters are mildish, we may get a cold snap where it is below freezing but most times, it is above freezing even in winter. So I am thinking insulated boots might not be desireable.

Saw some Hunter brand Chelsea boots and then there is the venerable LL Bean boots in various forms. I don't want to spend a lot but then again, I don't think I would find them in some store like Payless.

Thoughts on a chelsea or a moc style over say the 6 inch Bean? How do they run compared to say my 9D that I wear in loafers and dress shoes (Nike tennis shoes, I take a 10 or 10.5)

If I go with Hunter, these are the three I have looked at:

These Hunters are a 10 and attractively priced Since I am a nine, I could get an insole.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/main/Produ ... lsrc=aw.ds

Another Chelsea
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUNTER-ORIGINA ... 1438.l2649

A black Wellington, maybe too high of a cut?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hunter-Sho ... 1438.l2649
Kyle76

Re: Boots for heavy rain

Post by Kyle76 »

Sam, I guess you’ve considered that a deep puddle could reach the elastic side panel of a Chelsea boot. Personally, I’d go with Bean boots, which offer much greater protection. You can choose the height of the upper that suits you best.
Jim
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'll have that problem again in a few months. But here's what I've found.

BTW, I have no idea if the boots I'm discussing are anything that you would want.

A few years ago I cheaped out and got some manure stompers for rain and such at the local; ag' store. They were cold during the winter and dang, they hurt my feet. I still don't understand why the hurting (arches). I wore them out, and hated them the entire time, then I began a search for new boots. I wasn't going to repeat a mistake. I wound up between Boggs and Muck. Both are pricey. These were for winter wear and I went with Muck Arctic Ice. Just fantastic boots, but did I mention the price? They are not however, warm weather boots, so I'll go through this again in a few months. But I am incredibly happy with the Mucks. I'll probably do that brand again. I can walk in them and they don't hurt my arches. They had better last for many years due to the cost. I expect decades of wear out of them (I'm frugal, not cheap :) )
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

The Hunter short Wellies will definitely keep your feet dry, but they’re not very stylish unless you’re one of the huntin’, fishin’, shootin’ set. The Chelsea-style boots are passable unless there are puddles. As for a Bean boots, although I’ve been a loyal Bean customer for 25 years I’ve never found there Maine hunting boots comfortable. If you’re looking for practical footwear that’ll keep your feet dry in heavy rain I’d go with the Hunter short Wellies. My wet weather footwear is a pair of Goretex light hiking boots, but thet’re much dearerer than the Wellies.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I use Blundstone boots from Australia for wet and inclement weather, some nice soft Mongolian camel skin boots for comfort when walking excessive distances (I bought three pairs from marks.com as they were so fantastic, but are no longer available. I can walk comfortably for hours in them), and almost any brand of foam-insulated skidoo boots for wading around in the snow as I shovel.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I'm thinking Bean is the way to go

Does 6 or 8 inch make a big difference since no big snow in Memphis? Definitely getting the uninsulated.

Another thing, they have a bison upper on one pair. More desireable?

I think it is the 6 inch, 8 inch or gumshoe, and if 8 inch, they have a tumbled leather with padded collar that looks nice.

Thoughts?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Brian. I got outbid on some Muck Clone boots. Some insulation. Still might be an option

Bryan:
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Brian. I got outbid on some Muck Clone boots. Some insulation. Still might be an option

Bryan: The Maine shoe does have a softer bottom from what I have read. Not good for the concrete jungle. I'd get the regular gum shoe/duck boot
aih

Post by aih »

My opinion, there are lots of options, if you can be casually dressed. No good options for jacket and tie or suit.

Things I would consider....

Waterproof boots similar in style to cowboy boots from makers such as Dan Post and so forth.

Waterproof hiking or woodland boots, or the Main Hunting Shoe, from LLBean.

Waterproof shoes and boots from Red Wing or similar work boot and shoe maker. I believe all of Red Wing work boots are waterproof. But all may also be steel toe.

My assumption is that if you are on foot, you are casual, or at least not in dress clothes. If wearing suit or jacket and tie, take a taxi door to door.
- Ira
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on what Ira said

:D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Thought about Wellies but not as much support, Muck boots, like the Excursion Pro or Muckster 11, might have worked
The Beans are 25% through today and free shipping

6" is the ones for me

Color combo, these have black tops, lighter brown and tumbled leather upper

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/120928? ... 0Cocoa/Gum

or

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31178?p ... -GN1&csp=f
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Good luck, Sam. I wore my 6-inch Beans quail hunting yesterday and took advantage of the 25% coupon to order a new upland hunting vest last night.
Jim
aih

Post by aih »

Sam wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:45 am Thought about Wellies but not as much support, Muck boots, like the Excursion Pro or Muckster 11, might have worked
The Beans are 25% through today and free shipping

6" is the ones for me

Color combo, these have black tops, lighter brown and tumbled leather upper

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/120928? ... 0Cocoa/Gum

or

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31178?p ... -GN1&csp=f
Stylish! Good choice I think.

Something I didn't think about is whether or not you are going to and from an office or workplace and can keep a pair of shoes stashed there to change into or out of. That would be great for the case where the boots would be inappropriate.
- Ira
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ira, I can. And if it is pouring rain, Ill wear them to court anyway. Some guys wear black tennis shoes. this is more for like running to the mall, Saturday errands, Church and lunch on Sunday, evenings out, all when there is snow/slush on the ground or pouring rain.

I rotated in some dark brown Sperry topsiders years ago, and a grandchild said they look like old man shoes. And sometimes, stepping in a puddle, water comes over the side. So that to me eliminated the moc version and the gumshoe was not much higher.

So I can get one of those colors for a 6 inch, one with tumbled leather. or can go the 8: version
brothers

Post by brothers »

In my decades of going to court, etc. I never found it necessary to change into wading boots. We don't get much rain around here, and when it does, the only folks we see out and moving about during the height of the deluge are mail carriers, tow truck drivers, etc. Otherwise I (and everyone else caught in the rain) was sprinting in my dress shoes and trying to avoid deeper puddles. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well for me it can be a decent walk between parking garage and court

so as the special, 25% off and free shipping, runs out in about 4 hours, I got the 6 inch Bean boot in the standard color
brothers

Post by brothers »

It sounds like a good deal on some good boots. They should last a long time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I am with Kyle.

I have owned a pair of Bean Boots (8") for over 20 years. Had them resoled by Bean twice. My pair are lined with both Gore-Tex and Thinsulate.

Have never had an issue with them. My son even borrows them on occasion.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Get the bean boots and use them Saturday in light rain. Very comfortable and I did go one size down as they suggested. The 6" boots are plenty enough, without insulation, as we have mild winners and if we have snow there's never more than a 3 or 4" accumulation. What I like is that the tongue is gusset it so that if water creeps over the side it's not gonna go down on the inside of the shoe
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

I bought a pair of Muck boots two years ago, and I'm thrilled with the purchase. I believe they're the 'Arctic Sport' model.

I'll wear them ice fishing, sitting in a duck blind, or walking the dogs when it's -20C. They are my go-to footwear when I need to quickly slip on something warm and dry. Yes, they're a bit pricey, but they are so worth it!
Bill