Journals by Arthur Scheslinger Jr.

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
EL Alamein

Journals by Arthur Scheslinger Jr.

Post by EL Alamein »

Has anyone read this book? It's fascinating!

I've had it for years but just got the opportunity to pick it up and read it. He strikes me as part historian and part gossip but I'm enjoying it immensely.

For anyone too young to remember (I can be included in this crowd but I do like history to some extent) he was an advisor to President Kennedy. A true liberal of the old order. Great guy in many respects.

I'm about 2/3rd's the way through it and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys history as well as a personal perspective from anyone who lived it.

Chris
Kyle76

Re: Journals by Arthur Scheslinger Jr.

Post by Kyle76 »

I’ll have to check it out. I love good biographies, and I was a boy during the Kennedy administration. I remember well coming back to my class in third grade from a bathroom break, and my teacher had taken the transister radio that I had brought to school that day and put it on her desk so the class could hear the news reports after Kennedy was shot.
Last edited by Kyle76 on Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

I recall the name. Never thought much about the fellow either way.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I find it fascinating for the short one-liners here and there. It can give a slight insight into how some historical folks thought and expressed in the age before everything is published (ours).

Interesting line recently read (I'm describing from memory): Arthur had an outing in the late 1970's with Princess Grace Kelly. He recalls when she visited the White House in 1962. He remarked to JFK that she was such a stunningly beautiful woman and JFK's response was along the line of 'Yes, she's stunningly beautiful yet very boring'.

Who would have thought JFK would have considered Grace Kelly "boring"? That's IMHO the more gossip side of the entries but still interesting (to me).

Who knows if it's true. I tend to think anything like this that's intended to be published (like I believe Arthur wanted this to be) may be filled with poison pills.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt but still enjoying it.

Chris