World Cup 2018

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by jww »

brothers wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:05 am
jww wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:00 pm Which is good for neutrals -- as well as fans of the 3 Lions. :wink:
That's the one I'm choosing as my favorite now that we've come to the final 8.
Well chosen, Gary.

Southgate's lads are either young, exuberant and fun to watch, or overpaid, spoiled football hero-wannabes. Kane isn't the top contender for the Golden Boot for nothing - even if he has gotten more than his fair share from the penalty spot in Russia. Trippier is either a full-blown yobbo or a hard working all-over-the-field kind of player whose play against Columbia would have won him man-of-the-match honours if not for Jordan Pickford's save to seal the win in penalties. Make no mistake, Sweden will be no pushover. They will come out to play and intend to win. To be honest, I don't think there's a bad matchup in the quarters. Play-on!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Southgate rolling forward to the match-up with Croatia on Wednesday the 11th.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just for the record, as we have closed out this year's matches, I wanted England to win it all, and I am sorry they weren't able to prevail. Otherwise, this was an enjoyable event from start to finish. The commentators were all excellent, as far as I could tell.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I restrict myself to english broadcasters only -- I find our north american footy announcers to sound too much like they are doing play-by-play for an NFL game - and it certainly isn't a fit for the beautiful game.

Gutted at England's demise in the 2nd half against Croatia. Not to be "one of those fans" but I have to say the referee had no control over either team in that game - but especially the boys in the checkered shirts - there were some beyond nasty fouls that would have resulted in cards much sooner by almost any other ref on the pitch during the tournament. Not saying the refs cost the 3 Lions the game -- they did it to themselves when they couldn't put a 2nd goal in the net on two tries. Young team with a lot to look forward to - they remind me of Germany's lads in 2010 when they hammered Argentina and then lost a very good and close game to Spain in the semis. Qatar could be interesting if this team continues on the same trajectory.

C'mon Premiereship -- which starts August 10. Can hardly wait to get to watch MOTD again!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

jww wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:05 am C'mon Premiereship -- which starts August 10. Can hardly wait to get to watch MOTD again!
I'll make a note to try to locate this on cable when the time comes.
Gary