Belts

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Belts

Post by Sam »

I am noticing that on some of my belts, there is a bit of tarnishing on the nickle buckle. I suppose a polishing cloth taken to it should shine it up? The one I notice it on is a Martin Dingman dress belt, black. I do have silver polishalso for like tablewear, if that is a possibility.

Also, on some of my brown belts, one pair of pants might dictate that the beltbe cinched on the second hole from the end, where as most of my pants allow for the third or middle hole. When worn on the second hole, sometimes you can see creasing or even discoloration of the belt where the buckle laid up against the leather. It looks like a blackish line. Would using say Bick4 conditioner on it help? Is that the patina I see referenced and just let it do that?

Now on one belt, it just cracked. I have read that perhaps that is a laminate type of belt, lower quality. Ready to toss it.

One time, years ago, I tried to polish a belt and despite aggressive buffing, the wax would come off on a shirt or even the pants I was wearing.

So, is it the quality of the belt and/or leather that causes this cracking/discloration? Would I be better off to order a belt from Equus?

I do have one leather belt I got at a country and western store, and it is pure leather and does not crack, but it does discolor some. I have a couple of Jos. A Bank belts and the one is cracking.

If you suggest a new belt, then how can I distinguish something that wont crack or disolor? I have a Hilfiger belt that wears like a workhorse, gotten at all places TJ Maxx.

Also:

1) how to get on equus list to get notice of sales?
2) what about stateside belt makers, like Narragansett’s belts, or http://leathergoodsconnection.com/ or thriteen50? Bridle leather seems preferrable but then, like on the thirteen50 website, it has veg tan leather. I like Orion leather too
3) Why would you get a two prong roller?
4) What width is good for jeans and khakis?
5) Bick 4 good to use?

Sorry to dither but I am tired of going to macys or TJ maxx or even the Columbia store, and buying a belt and in 6 months, it looks like crap. I have the banana republic belt and the western store belts that are solid leather and other than the small discoloration where the belt buckle was fastened over a hole, they hold up well and the scratches look great, like a briefcase.

The belt below is the Banana Republic belt in 1.5" and is a tannish color. Id want to get a dark brown and a chesnut color made to round out my browns. I guess some sort of silver buckle since my watch bands and wedding ring are silver

I am noticing that on some of my belts, there is a bit of tarnishing on the nickle buckle. I suppose a polishing cloth taken to it should shine it up? The one I notice it on is a Martin Dingman dress belt, black. I do have silver polishalso for like tablewear, if that is a possibility.

Also, on some of my brown belts, one pair of pants might dictate that the beltbe cinched on the second hole from the end, where as most of my pants allow for the third or middle hole. When worn on the second hole, sometimes you can see creasing or even discoloration of the belt where the buckle laid up against the leather. It looks like a blackish line. Would using say Bick4 conditioner on it help? Is that the patina I see referenced and just let it do that?

Now on one belt, it just cracked. I have read that perhaps that is a laminate type of belt, lower quality. Ready to toss it.

One time, years ago, I tried to polish a belt and despite aggressive buffing, the wax would come off on a shirt or even the pants I was wearing.

So, is it the quality of the belt and/or leather that causes this cracking/discloration? Would I be better off to order a belt from Equus?

I do have one leather belt I got at a country and western store, and it is pure leather and does not crack, but it does discolor some. I have a couple of Jos. A Bank belts and the one is cracking.

If you suggest a new belt, then how can I distinguish something that wont crack or disolor? I have a Hilfiger belt that wears like a workhorse, gotten at all places TJ Maxx.

Also:

1) how to get on equus list to get notice of sales?
2) what about stateside belt makers, like Narragansett’s belts, or http://leathergoodsconnection.com/ or thriteen50? Bridle leather seems preferrable but then, like on the thirteen50 website, it has veg tan leather. I like Orion leather too
3) Why would you get a two prong roller?
4) What width is good for jeans and khakis?
5) Bick 4 good to use?

Sorry to dither but I am tired of going to macys or TJ maxx or even the Columbia store, and buying a belt and in 6 months, it looks like crap. I have the banana republic belt and the western store belts that are solid leather and other than the small discoloration where the belt buckle was fastened over a hole, they hold up well and the scratches look great, like a briefcase.

The belt below is the Banana Republic belt in 1.5" and is a tannish color. Id want to get a dark brown and a chesnut color made to round out my browns. I guess some sort of silver buckle since my watch bands and wedding ring are silver