Michelada

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Michelada

Post by brothers »

Just a beer (mixed beverage with beer the main ingredient) but pretty good. This isn't an upper crust high brow beverage, just a beer! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Michelada

Post by fallingwickets »

budweiser does it for me!! :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:13 am budweiser does it for me!! :D :D

clive
Ye gods and little fishes, Clive! This coming from a man who has Becks for an avatar?
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I could make a good michelada from Beck's! Doesn't have to be a Mexican beer, but it helps.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

had one if these and then there is the chelada.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam, I haven't tried the Modelo Chelada, but now it's on the top of my list.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

gary, no way in the whole wide world Im using becks for anything other than drinking one.!!!!! c'mon man!! :D :D :D :D :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I’d not heard of Michelada until I read this thread. I looked up the recipe and it is very similar to a Calgary Red Eye. I make my CRE with clamato juice rather than tomato juice. It’s the only way I’ll drink North American beer (eg. Molson, Labatts, Bud, Coors,etc.), but I’m a dyed in the wool Guinness and bitter drinker.
Bryan
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I would guess that V-8 would work, too. I agree that a "standard" North American beer would work for this, but in the last 20-30 years there has been a vast emergence of craft breweries, and now at the point where they are driving each other out of business or getting acquired by the big breweries.

I was curious, so I looked up a michelada recipe. 3 oz of tomato juice to 12 oz of beer, plus hot sauce, salt, chili powder, worcestershire sauce, and lime juice. A lot like a Bloody Mary, with the beer diluting the juice rather than the juice diluting the vodka.

A chelada is simpler - add lime juice (2 oz) and salt to beer (12 oz).
brothers

Post by brothers »

Paul, one thing I have learned about these is that when ordered at a bar or restaurant, the bartenders tend to use a variety of recipes.
Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Oh, sure, I was just getting an idea of what they were. I've never had one, but now I know enough to approximate one at home, and then tweak the recipe to taste. I suppose some bartenders use a recipe from a book, and others made it unique, maybe not even making it quite the same every time.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Lately I've been using the commercial michelada mix. I've used Modelo, Dos Equis, and even some Bud Light that was lurking in the refrig. I went to see a baseball game and had a 16 oz Modelo Chelada. It was OK too. I won't touch anything associated with clam juice.
Gary