Day travel bag

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Day travel bag

Post by Sam »

I am thinking a full briefcase for me is too much, but I too would like a general carry-all bag for when I run errands or will be out and about a city walking all day, such as NYC. I have backbacks and they are great for airports but I don't know that I want a backpack all day. Then again, a full carry briefcase and even in leather would be too much. I have seen some filson messenger backs on Ebay that look good, and then for the price, the LL Bean messenger looks good. There is a Mills canvas that uses like sailcloth but at $170 or so, I would spend a little more and get a Filson.

Any other canvas, waxed canvas or canvas/leather bags to consider?
brothers

Re: Day travel bag

Post by brothers »

Personally, I think I would like the Carbon2Carbon messenger bag.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Red Oxx in Billings, Montana makes a wide variety of bags and travel accessories. They’re not cheap, but they are very well made (almost over-engineered) and made in the USA. I think the Gator Compact Everyday Carry-on Bag could be what you’re looking for, but visit their website to see what they have.
Bryan
Barry

Post by Barry »

I have a Kriega but it’s probably not your style. I don’t ride a motorcycle but I wanted a dry pack. I have the 100% waterproof
Version.

They also make the Kriega Urban EDC Messenger bag. I haven’t read much about that one but it looks cool to me.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I use a few options depending what I need to be doing.

LLBean small adventure duffel (we actually have one each in medium and large as well) - great for when you need to add stuff to your bag as you roam around the market, town, etc.
Custom made 16" british school satchel in leather from Zatchels UK. I use this when I have client meetings but won't be at a client site all day long. Great for papers, my MacBook or Dell XPS notebooks and a moleskine and a few pens.
LLBean town and country satchel - a small cross-body bag which is great for essentials with a bit of room to add as you shop. Unfortunately they don't make this any longer
LLBean commuter backpack for day-long trips to client sites. They only made this for one season last year, and it's the best all-day work bag I have ever owned.

As you can tell -- it's either bespoke brit or LLBean for me ..... surprised??? :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:03 am I use a few options depending what I need to be doing.

LLBean small adventure duffel (we actually have one each in medium and large as well) - great for when you need to add stuff to your bag as you roam around the market, town, etc.
Custom made 16" british school satchel in leather from Zatchels UK. I use this when I have client meetings but won't be at a client site all day long. Great for papers, my MacBook or Dell XPS notebooks and a moleskine and a few pens.
LLBean town and country satchel - a small cross-body bag which is great for essentials with a bit of room to add as you shop. Unfortunately they don't make this any longer
LLBean commuter backpack for day-long trips to client sites. They only made this for one season last year, and it's the best all-day work bag I have ever owned.

As you can tell -- it's either bespoke brit or LLBean for me ..... surprised??? :D
Wendell, if Tilley Endurables made bags similar to the Bean ones how would you decide? :mrgreen:
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:47 am
Wendell, if Tilley Endurables made bags similar to the Bean ones how would you decide? :mrgreen:
Am I correct in thinking you are asking which bag would I recommend????? All of them -- the small duffel is just an excellent go-to all-purpose haul-all / drag about bag.

It really depends on what you are wanting to do with it. Herschel out of Vancouver also make some excellent minimalist bags that look good and are very useful as well.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?