Titanic

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jthomas1264

Titanic

Post by jthomas1264 »

My daughter and I made a stop at the Titanic exhibit in Las Vegas. I highly recommend it if you find yourself with a bit of time on your hands. I picked up a few souvenirs and thought you fellows might appreciate this photo.
C3AD26D1-8F90-44AD-B07E-C51DFF5F5235.jpeg
C3AD26D1-8F90-44AD-B07E-C51DFF5F5235.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 5051 times
Kyle76

Re: Titanic

Post by Kyle76 »

Cool!
Jim
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Wow, are they selling that stuff as souvenirs?

When the exhibit was at the Franklin Institute many years ago here in Philadelphia I went to it. I was very pleased with it and even got to touch one of the davits they had on display brought up from the sea floor.

As far as I remember they did not sell anything like you have in your picture as souvenirs at the time. But in the exhibit I did spy a Truefitt ceramic shaving cream tub which was brought up from the wreck. It was fascinating.

I will say this though about the scents in your picture - I am dubious that any of them existed in 1912.

An old hand named Gordon, who used to post here, said Astor was created later in the 1980's despite Trumper's claims. The English Fern might be the exception as it is a modern recreation of an old classic that would have been available at the time from what he wrote.

Penhaligons is a resurrected perfumer reproducing their classic scents from the turn of the century as well as creating their own modern scents so I can't be sure about the Halfeti as I know nothing about it. It may be a resurrected scent or a completely new creation. My guess it that it's a completely new scent as Basenotes.com list it's launch year as 2015 while English Fern's launch year is listed as 1911. Either way, enjoy them!

I have to say that I love English Fern as it's an excellent scent (though I no longer wear scent). Very reminiscent of old times.

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm not sure what I'm seeing.

Are these reproductions of things found on the ship?

Are they reproductions of products men at the time might have had on the ship?

Thanks.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

many years ago here in Philadelphia
totally off topic: Im coming to philly first thing sat morning to have tacos! :D :D :D

http://southphillybarbacoa.com/

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

In 1981, during my first trip to Halifax, I visited the Titanic exhibit in the Museum of the Atlantic. The wreck hadn't been discovered in those days, and it was mostly floating debris that had been picked up - deckchairs (definitely re-arranged!) etc. Then to the sad graveyard, ingloriously tucked around the back of a large shopping mall, with the rows of little black markers, most unidentified. Wretched business.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

fallingwickets wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:43 am
many years ago here in Philadelphia
totally off topic: Im coming to philly first thing sat morning to have tacos! :D :D :D

http://southphillybarbacoa.com/

clive
Clive, enjoy the tacos. We have taco night here in our home a few times a month and daughter number 3 always celebrates by playing and singing the following song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3YmHZ9HMPs

Hope you enjoy.

Chris
jthomas1264

Post by jthomas1264 »

Well, I really don’t know if these are replicas of what might have been on the Titanic. I do know that some of the stuff sold in the gift shop are replications of the actual artifacts. I am sharing this picture only because I thought it was a fun, shaving-related image with a bit of history thrown in.

And, of course, the scents weren’t around then, but Penhsligon’s was, but I threw those in just for effect.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the explanation, jthomas1264. There are some nice-looking items in your photo.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the details. I was confused when I thought the souvenir shop was selling those beautiful Penhaligons products. As you said, it makes a very attractive display.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

jthomas, thanks for the clarification.

Off topic - I couldn't help thinking of Clive's post today as we had a corporate luncheon and to my surprise they served tacos. I texted daughter #3 "It's raining tacos".

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i laughed when i saw that video....my only regret is i watched the whole thing waiting for a different verse LOL

clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

One of these years, we will make our way over to Ireland during one of our trips to the UK and check out the https://titanicbelfast.com/
exhibit.

I have heard some incredible things about it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

fallingwickets wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:18 am i laughed when i saw that video....my only regret is i watched the whole thing waiting for a different verse LOL

clive
Oh, Clive, I am so sorry!

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ill be playing it tomorrow enroute....i dont see why i should be the only one in my household to hear it :D :D
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

fallingwickets wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:48 am ill be playing it tomorrow enroute....i dont see why i should be the only one in my household to hear it :D :D
Hear, hear!

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

We got to south philly barbacoa around 8.30. Place was already in full swing by then. Hasd a soup and lamb and pork (which they sell by the kilo!!) tacos. Very, very tasty however i don't think I would do the 3+ hour round trip just for that again...maybe stop in at some of the other sites (reading etc) along the way.

Clive

p,s, for those interested, south philly barbacoa made up episode 1, season five of netflix's chef's table ...worth watching for the uplifting life story
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Clive, glad you enjoyed yourself.

On/off topic, has anyone noticed that the movie Titanic has been playing a lot? I have no idea why but I caught it playing a few times in the last week.

Anyone know why? I don't think it's anniversary or anything so I'm stumped.

Chris
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I’ve seen it on HBO lately. When they bring a movie back, you’ll see it a lot for awhile. I don’t know that there’s any significance as to timing.
Jim
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I brought this up at dinner tonight and daughter #2 who is twelve years old said it was just popular right now.

Who knows.

Chris