Fountain Pens

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by jww »

I run with both my LX (with Lamy classic Blue) and the TWSBI ECO with MOnteverde USA Napa Burgundy for all my daily use unless I am using one of my Staedtler mechanical pencils. Love both of these pens. They are a joy to write with and get better over time as the nib has formed to my writing angle and style.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

jww wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:36 pm... with MOnteverde USA Napa Burgundy for all my daily use ...
Ooh, that's pretty nice.
Reds and purples are a refreshing change from blues, black, or even greens.
I'm enjoying the Diamine Red Dragon in the Metropolitan for daily writing. Much better than the Merlot.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
brothers

Post by brothers »

Impressive demonstrations and illustrations. Love the color!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on what gary said, but for me red is an instant backtrack to being a boy watching teachers scribble all over my homework with a bit of caning thrown in for good measure now and then LOL. so red is a colour i could never use
clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:26 am ditto on what gary said, but for me red is an instant backtrack to being a boy watching teachers scribble all over my homework with a bit of caning thrown in for good measure now and then LOL. so red is a colour i could never use
clive
Clive, looks as though you and I went to the same type of school: a sea of red ink on my school work and the inevitable caning every so often for good measure. :D
Bryan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Rufus wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:21 am
fallingwickets wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:26 am ditto on what gary said, but for me red is an instant backtrack to being a boy watching teachers scribble all over my homework with a bit of caning thrown in for good measure now and then LOL. so red is a colour i could never use
clive
Clive, looks as though you and I went to the same type of school: a sea of red ink on my school work and the inevitable caning every so often for good measure. :D
Ruler across the knuckles here.

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Ah yes, red ink. Hardly the thing for a love letter (or anything else one might be inclined to keep).

In my experience, with a little aging, red fountain pen ink turns the color of dried blood. So, it's best read and pitched into the trash.

- Murray
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Fountain Pen Day 2019 is Novenber 1.

https://www.fountainpenday.org/
Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've had my share of red too. I think the context might change the impact/nuances of the use of red ink. Coming from an authority figure directed to a subordinate - yes, intimidating and usually disappointing. However, when there is a special or personal ongoing exchange of non-threatening remarks, when the burgundy represents a bit of shared affinity, it most likely reflects the writer's personality and mutual trust with the intended reader.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

John Rose wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:55 pm My collection was shrinking until tonight.
I just ordered a Pilot Metropolitan (medium nib) in the "White Tiger" colour & pattern. (from stylo.ca)
[...snip...]
This is to replace the gold Metropolitan that I lost (I'm sure it's still in the house) a few months ago.
Hoo-ray! \:D/
Today SWMBO says "John ... come look at this" and leads me into the master bedroom closet.
She points up to a corrugated cardboard box up on a top shelf, marked "HATS". Hanging off the side was my gold Metropolitan, with the clip stuck in between layers of the cardboard.
:-k
As near as I can figure, I must have looked in the box, then put it back up onto the shelf, and on the way up it snagged the clip, pulling the pen out of my breast pocket.
In my defense, the satin-finish gold is sorta' cardboard-coloured.
:oops:
But it was right there in plain sight all those months. I was even in there the day before, studying the shelf itself, because the wall anchor on one end is threatening to pull out of the drywall.

I gave it a few flicks into the kitchen sink and it started writing with no problem. Even so, I'll dismantle the nib, feed, and section to give them a good cleaning.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

nice looking pen!
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

John Rose wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:31 pm
John Rose wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:55 pm My collection was shrinking until tonight.
I just ordered a Pilot Metropolitan (medium nib) in the "White Tiger" colour & pattern. (from stylo.ca)
[...snip...]
This is to replace the gold Metropolitan that I lost (I'm sure it's still in the house) a few months ago.
Hoo-ray! \:D/
Today SWMBO says "John ... come look at this" and leads me into the master bedroom closet.
She points up to a corrugated cardboard box up on a top shelf, marked "HATS". Hanging off the side was my gold Metropolitan, with the clip stuck in between layers of the cardboard.
:-k
As near as I can figure, I must have looked in the box, then put it back up onto the shelf, and on the way up it snagged the clip, pulling the pen out of my breast pocket.
In my defense, the satin-finish gold is sorta' cardboard-coloured.
:oops:
But it was right there in plain sight all those months. I was even in there the day before, studying the shelf itself, because the wall anchor on one end is threatening to pull out of the drywall.

I gave it a few flicks into the kitchen sink and it started writing with no problem. Even so, I'll dismantle the nib, feed, and section to give them a good cleaning.
How fortunate you are. I’ve collected vintage and modern fountain pens for many years, but have never mastered the art of dismantling and re-assembling the nib assembly successfully; any time I’ve tried I’ve made a total hash of it and have had to bring in the local nibmiester. To quote Kipling, ‘You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din.’
Bryan
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Rufus wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:11 amHow fortunate you are. I’ve collected vintage and modern fountain pens for many years, but have never mastered the art of dismantling and re-assembling the nib assembly successfully; any time I’ve tried I’ve made a total hash of it and have had to bring in the local nibmiester. To quote Kipling, ‘You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din.’
The only one of my pens that I have not been able to completely dismantle is a Borghini V110.
That doesn't show the feed, but it's so far inside the section that it tapers immediately and I can't get a good grip on it. I would have to use pliers or something, and risk crushing the nib.

Waiddaminnit... this photo shows what I mean better:

No problem with the Metropolitans, a rOtring Art Pen, a Nemosine Fission, and a Sheaffer Calligraphy FP.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Not a fountain pen, but a fine writing instrument nevertheless.
I was rummaging about looking for a mechanical pencil, and came across an unfamiliar ballpoint pen in my pen & pencil cup.
I noticed the little white star on the cap and thought "wait a minute - that means something".
The engraving said "Montblanc", so I looked it up.

Turns out it was one of these:

A Montblanc Meisterstück Gold-Coated Classique Ballpoint Pen.
Their price: CDN$500 / USD$420
Yikes!
The thing is I have no idea how I came to have it. I can only imagine that it was among my mother's stuff when she passed away last year, and that I got it when my sisters and I divvied up some keepsake items.
So I decided it was worth buying refills for it. (Monteverde brand, 2 for $14)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Oh my! That's a beautiful pen John.
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

John, great pen. I have one just like it in maroon. Mine was a gift about 20 years ago. I don't use it that often but I have yet to replace the cartridge. And even with it's light intermittent usage this pen never skips and lays out ink straight away.

Enjoy it!

Chris
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Montblancs are beautiful works of art ...... like a vintage razor from you birth year when you are 50 or over. :D
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:42 pm Montblancs are beautiful works of art ...... like a vintage razor from you birth year when you are 50 or over. :D
Ah, the allure of “precious resin”. :roll:
Bryan
Gene

Post by Gene »

jww wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:42 pm Montblancs are beautiful works of art ...... like a vintage razor from you birth year when you are 50 or over. :D
I like the looks of the Montblanc ... at the Atlanta airport in the "E" terminal there is a Montblanc store - ink and fountain pens galore. Quite pricey, though -- I always wondered if they were worth it.

I have two birth year razors - one red tip, one classic SS. Nice, but my General gets the nod these days. I won't get rid of them, though.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Montblanc have many strategically located airport terminal locations across the globe. I always make a run into their shop whenever I fly although admittedly I am not doing any of that now or for the foreseeable future. :(
Wendell