600 Tons of Obsolescence - Awesome

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
J T

600 Tons of Obsolescence - Awesome

Post by J T »

A sight not seen since July 1959

https://youtu.be/q4ftIM4jP0A

Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 on its first test run after 5 yrs of restoration to full operational capability and converted to fuel oil fire.

The Big Boys were one of the largest steam locomotives ever built.
Engine and operational tender had a length of 132 ft, a weight of 1.2 million lbs, and a top speed of 80 mph.

Legend has it that the engine was named not by design, but by an unknown ALCO worker who chalked Big Boy on the front of the first engine as it neared completion.
~ Jack
CMur12

Re: 600 Tons of Obsolescence - Awesome

Post by CMur12 »

That is impressive - the largest steam engine I have ever seen, Jack!

What do you mean by "converted to fuel oil fire"?

It looks like it's still producing steam, rather than a diesel conversion. Does it use a petroleum-based fuel to fire the boiler rather than coal?

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jack, thanks for this link. I love to see the old iron horses when I get an opportunity.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The UK National Railway Museum has some excellent steam specimens including the Mallard (steam rail speed record), The Flying Scot (it was actually moving when we were there - very cool to see it under power) and others.

Possibly the best day I have ever spent in a museum -- and it's free to boot. And if that's not enough, it's all of 10 minute's walk from York Minster and the entire walled city. How good can you get??? In Yorkshire, no less.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?