Pink Cadillac

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
churchilllafemme

Pink Cadillac

Post by churchilllafemme »

Yesterday was our weekly errand day, and when my wife and I arrived at the local county library branch, we saw this classic. Perfect for cruising on a warm day.
ImageImageImage
_______
John
Kyle76

Re: Pink Cadillac

Post by Kyle76 »

The fringe and dice are great touches!
Jim
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

We all ridin' on the freeway of love in a pink cadillac!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

1959 guess what the gas mileage was. Around 30 cents per gallon.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Beautiful car, thanks for sharing. I Iove seeing these as they are a reminder of a bygone era.

I had a 1960 Cadillac which was virtually the same vehicle, so much so that Cadillac issued only a supplemental shop manual to the 1959 shop manual to address the minor changes. I have many wonderful memories of times in this car.

Easy to work on but a death trap. The original "wrap it around a tree" type car because of it's X frame.

When I had mine I used to think it was a tank and very safe. Years later, after I sold it, I viewed a video online of an offset head-on collision between a 1959 impala (same car only cosmetic differences) with a 2009 Chevy. The outcome was the driver of the 1959 vehicle was judged to have been killed by the collision while the 2009 vehicle driver suffered minor injuries to the ankle.

No seat belts in these as well, at least not from the factory.

I still love the styling of the old vehicles though, just glad I never had the occasion to learn how wrong I was about their safety before I sold mine.

Mine will always be with me though as I sold it to pay for my now wife's engagement ring. So I think of it as sitting on her finger in the center of the diamond.

Chris
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, it was more like gallons to the mile driving one of these. The gas mileage was really lousy in these but the thinking of the time when it was built was that if you could afford to buy one you didn't care about how much it cost in gas to run one.

To this point the owner's manual actually had a section advising the owner to have the cylinder's changed out when driving in foreign countries due to the difference in fuels. How bizarre it seems in the modern era of cars to think of taking on the expense of actually rebuilding the engine to drive it afar.

To Cadillac's credit though their engines were built to aircraft specifications at the time, something that was really rare for the era. They were built to last in an era of cars only lasting for 10 years or so. Nowadays nearly every car is built to last far beyond what cars were built to last in the old days. Tune-ups are standard at 100k miles today while they used to be every 10k miles.

Gorgeous interiors though and I wish cars were still made with interiors as beautiful as the old ones.

Chris