Sudoku anyone?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Sudoku anyone?

Post by brothers » Sun May 31, 2020 8:14 pm

I'm just a beginner but I've begun to enjoy it. Does anyone have some tips that might make it somewhat easier for a rookie to understand? I do understand the objective of the game, but it seems to be much more challenging than it was at first glance.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic & badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Re: Sudoku anyone?

Post by rustyblade » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:23 pm

This is a game I really want to understand the advanced concepts to learn how to solve difficult puzzles, but it sadly makes me realize that I don’t math well. :(
Richard

Gene

Post by Gene » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:44 am

I like working the puzzles a lot. I found a couple of apps - and I do the easy ones when I want to let my mind wander. The medium's and hard's require me to put little number in the boxes too much (if you do these you understand that).

I find that often times what does NOT go in the box is as important to know as what does go in the box.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore

John Rose

Post by John Rose » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:24 pm

Sudoku is my 3rd favourite time-killer, after Klondike Solitaire (on my iPod) and Cryptic Crosswords (in paperback book compilations).
I think I'd rather not learn tricks to speed up the solution.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex

brothers

Post by brothers » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:42 pm

I'm beginning to "see" some options that have taken some time for my subconscious to understand. A couple of days ago I finally finished one with zero mistakes, which was a first for me. Of course I'm still limiting myself to the "easy" ones for the time being.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic & badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:23 pm

To be technical, Sudoku is math, since logic is a branch of math, but it's not quantitative. You could replace the digits with any set of 10 different symbols.

The first thing I do is fill in the easy unfilled squares, ones where it doesn't take too much effort to see there's only one choice of digit. Then I look for two squares in the same square of 9 that are the only possibilities for the same digit, or two squares in the same row or column. That eliminates that digit as a possibility in the rest of that row or column or square of 9. That often gives you some more solved single squares.

At opportune times, I see if I can use a process of elimination to fill in any single squares, mostly when a lot of the nearby squares have been filled in.

A little later, I start marking squares with all digits they might have (I write in the possible digits), looking first for squares with the least number of possibilities. The easiest puzzles have few squares with lots of possibilities.

There's more, but it's hard to write it all down without diagrams and examples. The main thing is to keep in mind that rows, columns, and squares of 9 can't have any repeating digits. Solving the puzzle is by using the consequences of that fact, and figuring out (or learning about) all the possible consequences.

More often than I'd like, I discover an impossibility, which means that I made a mistake. Those have been nearly impossible to repair without erasing all my work.