Selecting a proper humidor

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Selecting a proper humidor

Post by clownjuggles »

What should I look for. Does it matter what kind of cigars I have. What should I expect to spend?
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

I would go into a tobacconist shop and ask around, see what they recommend. Humidors range in price from $40 - $4000 and in size from travel to holding several hundred cigars at a time. I am in need of a new one, as the one I had previously bought is rather cheap. I purchased a $50 starter set from Thompson Cigar Co. The humidor just did not have a good seal to keep in the humidity, therefore drying out my cigars rather quickly. I have found one that i like for around $100 and holds about 25-30 cigars. All I did was ask the owner of the cigar shop what he recommended that I buy. Cigars are another one of those things, like wetshaving, that have so many options and are definitely a personal choice. Good luck.
Justin
Texas
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

Peter,

Now your talking. Cigars.... another of my downfalls.
I have been smoking them for over 40 years, and have more than I care to count in storage from all over the world.
I suggest you buy the biggest humidor you can afford, since you never have enough space, and you may wish to put some aside for aging. Look for good construction, the inexpensive ones are normally poorly assembled.
Look for one that is completely lined with spanish cedar, and has a good seal. To check the seal, make sure when you shut it you can hear the air escape, or put a dollar bill half in and half out in several different places around the lid, and shut the lid, each time trying to remove it. If it comes out easily, the seal is not the best.
Also get yourself a good hygrometer (digital), and humidifying device.
Hope this helps.
As you think of questions, just let us know.

Steve
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Steve,

I figured out a cheaper way since I am budgeting myself this month. I got a large tupperware container and some Boveda Packets.

Very Cheap way to make a basic humidor.

http://www.boveda-direct.com
Peter
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

I am guessing that this fulfills the needs of a humidor any comments
?
Peter
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

Peter,

That will work for a short period of time.......but remember that tupperware is air tight, and you will need to open it every couple of days to exchange the air inside.

I don't know what "Boveda Packets" are, but you may be better off with some florists foam and distilled water for moisture. You should invest in a hygrometer to make sure you don't over hydrate your cigars (too much moisture will make them hard to draw, and may even cause them to split)

Steve
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Enrico,

Boveda is apparently who makes the humidity packets for arturo fuente. The packet is made specifically to keep a constant 69% humidity for 6 months. I am mainly storing the cigars. not a smoker but I have friends who do.
Peter