Shaving Music?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Shaving Music?

Post by Chris »

Do you listen to music while shaving? What music? My current favorite is that old bluesman, Robert Johnson.
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Post by blackgrass »

I love Robert Johnson! My girlfriend is a blues fanatic! She has her own weekly radio show on community radio devoted to the blues. I live in Arkansas which has a long history of blues music and I am about 2 hours from Helena the home of the King Biscuit Radio Show and Blues Festival. I tend to like the older more acoustic blues...like Son House, Lightin' Hopkins, Charlie Patton and R. Johnson.
I have been fortunate to get to see several great blues artist in the past year such as:
The Holmes Brothers
Little Howlin Wolf
Guitar Shorty
Cedell Davis...I have actually gotten to share the stage with Cedell. If you not familier with him he has a very interesting story. He is crippled from polio and plays guitar with a butter knife! Check out this link for more: http://www.fatpossum.com/artists/cedell.html
and more...
I have wanted to visit the Blues Museum in Greenville, Miss. but haven't made it there yet. Morgan Freeman has a restaurant there is a big supporter of the blues and the delta heritage.

My shaving music and the music I listen to the most is bluegrass. Also very much influenced by the blues.

Good thread!
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

I just checked out Cedell's site. What a fascinating story. I love the Blues, so I'd probably love Bluegrass as well...I have to start checking out some Bluegrass!
blackgrass

Post by blackgrass »

I could definately point you in the right direction for bluegrass!
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Point away, my friend. I am always open for new music recommendations!
blackgrass

Post by blackgrass »

Do you have Live365 loaded on your computer?

I'll just name some of my favorite bands:

The Classics...
Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys
The Stanley Brothers
Flatt and Scruggs
The Osborne Brothers

The Next Generation...These are the guys that took the traditional bluegrass and put a bit of a modern spin on it
The Country Gentlemen
The Seldom Scene---My all time favorite bluegrass band!
Tony Rice
Old and In the Way
New Grass Revival

The Young Pups...These are some of the current bands I listen to
Yonder Mountain String Band
Old Crow Medicine Show...these guys are great! If you ever get a chance to see them live...drop what your doing and go. The show is so full of energy it will just blow you away!
South Austin Jug Band
Open Road
Reel Time Travelers
King Wilkie

what the heck...here is my band Runaway Planet http://www.runawayplanet.net
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Live365? No I'm afraid I don't...but I'll have to check out these artists!
jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

I like some bluegrass but have never really gotten into it fully. A country radio station here in Dallas plays some every once in a while. Right now I have been getting pretty big into Texas Country music and I can tell alot of people have influences from bluegrass. The radio station I speak of plays all kinds of country music from Willie and Waylon to the newer generation like Reckless Kelly, Hayes Carll. They definitely don't play mainstream country thats for sure.
Justin
Texas
blackgrass

Post by blackgrass »

Chris...go to http://www.live365.com and sign up. It's free and you can listen to all sorts of stuff! I can show you some stations to get you started.

jdtx3302...I really like the non-commercial county as well! Hayes Carl comes to town every few months it seems. Shooter Jennings was just through town and Chris Scruggs was just here from BR549. Willie is one of my favorites and I got to meet him a few weeks ago down in Austin. Meeting him certainly made my trip! I gave him a cd and he said he really likes bluegrass....not all that surprising! I am also a big Don Williams fan....there are not enough o's in the word smooth to describe Don's voice![/url]
jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

I really am trying to make it out to more live concerts. I live 20 min from Billy Bob's Texas and they have good bands rolling through every weekend. Hayes has become on of my favorite bands, I am trying to pick up the CD, as well as with Shooter. By the way the station I was referring to is KHYI The Range and they play stuff like Del McCoury band and Jim Lauderdale all the time. You can listen online at
http://www.khyi.com. Also I am not sure if you know who Chris Knight is but he is my favorite artist and he is amazing.
Justin
Texas
blackgrass

Post by blackgrass »

I love the Del McCoury band. My band got to open for them a couple of years ago and they were a class act all the way!
I'll have to check out Chris Knight.
I saw Jim Lauderdale during SXSW and he was awesome. He had Buddy Miller sit in on a few songs. Buddy is something else!
Do you like Townes Van Zandt?
jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

Yes I like a number of Townes Van Zandt songs. I can only listen to him sometimes because they are so mellow I feel like sleeping. He is such a great songwriter and I know he has influenced a lot of the music I listen to now. Lonestarmusic.com is an excellent site for sampling and purchasing music. I just bought the Shooter Jennings cd from Itunes.
Justin
Texas
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Wow...this live365 is pretty cool...what stations do you recommend?
blackgrass

Post by blackgrass »

Chris check out:
DeskTopGrass
Newgrass, Prog & More!
500KV
RADIOGATOR
Triple R Roots Radio

or you can just use the browse feature and look up bluegrass under Americana. Live365 is pretty awesome! Have fun! :D
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

While shaving I enjoy the sound of the blade cutting my beard. That is music to my ears. :lol:
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

blackgrass wrote:Chris check out:
DeskTopGrass
Newgrass, Prog & More!
500KV
RADIOGATOR
Triple R Roots Radio

or you can just use the browse feature and look up bluegrass under Americana. Live365 is pretty awesome! Have fun! :D
Thanks!
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Listen to NPR in the a.m.
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Norma -- Vincenzo Bellini
--Pat Thayer
Living well is the best revenge.