Watches, watches, watches (caution: modem burner)

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
CMur12

Re: Watches, watches, watches (caution: modem burner)

Post by CMur12 »

Jim, that's a beautiful inheritance. Waltham made some very fine watches and that one looks like one of their better ones. A porcelain double-sunk dial like that is pretty deluxe.

- Murray
Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite »

Cliff presented some really nice watches. The Rolex will be noticed by 90% of the people who see it, but the Lange & Shone will be " noticed" by the other 10%. I like how it has tasteful understated qualities. After seeing it I would like to find a similar self winding swiss watch with gold and and brown crocodile band. Omega or IWC may be more realistic for me. Used watches seem to be a good way to get quality at a reasonable price.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

so guess you could say that YOU LOVE YOUR BALLS???

Ball watches are amazing. I love Lum tecs.

I sport a orange and a black face Seiko Monster.
brothers

Re:

Post by brothers »

Ben wrote:My family lacked a good, powerful flashlight in the house until I bought one of these the other night.
Ben, that Home Depot link just didn't want to come through. :(
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ooops! Sorry I replied to an eight 8 year old post about a flashlight. :?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Beautiful line-up !
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm seriously considering a Hamilton 946 railroad watch, with 23 jewels, from around 1906. The watch is in exquisite condition. A friend of mine showed it to me today and told me he is selling it. I've never spent this kind of money on a watch, but, as I said, it's exquisite!

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hamilton produced some excellent watches in the 940s range and it was only politics that eventually removed them from the pockets of Railroad men.
Regards,
Squire
Zemlya

Post by Zemlya »

I have a Stowa Antea (Limited, w/Durowe movement). I will post pics later. I purchased it in 2007 (my first mechanical) and it's since been my only watch.

Eventually I would like to acquire a few more, but nothing in collector territory (no interest).

Would love a Reverso one day!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Zemlya wrote:Would love a Reverso one day!
Who wouldn't . . .
Regards,
Squire
Laager

Post by Laager »

brothers wrote:Laager, thanks for finding this oldie but goodie. Will you be posting written messages to go along with these gems? :)
Nah. I've already posted sufficient real content. I simply thought it needed a second life and without much more than a bump, others seem to agree. :)
brothers

Post by brothers »

if you find any more like this, that would be good! Thank you.
Gary

Laager

Post by Laager »

Zemlya wrote:Would love a Reverso one day!
Oh, dear Lord, yes.

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Wow, I've never seen anything like that Reverso!

I ended up buying the Hamilton 946 railroad watch that I referenced above. It is absolutely exquisite, with a gold case, unblemished double-sunk porcelain dial, and a 23-jewel movement. It was made around 1906.

I don't own any jewelry and this is probably the one most exquisitely beautiful object that I own. Other than the house, it is one of very few possessions not subject to depreciation.

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I own a few inexpensive watches --- well that's relative --- inexpensive when compared to Hamiltons, etc. I own two Citizens, a Polar and a Bullova automatic - all of which get plenty of use. I also have Timex Expedition with leather strap that does temperature, tide and compass --- just because I like to follow the tidal times at our favourite beach spot in Maine. And finally, there's my Garmin 310XT which is arguably not a watch per se but does kind of keep time and does sit on my wrist whenever I am involved in outdoor activities such as walking, cycling, etc.

I have been considering a Tissot T-Touch Race. Yes it is quite "gadgety" but I am intrigued by the technology of the tactile functions, besides, I have the option to pick one up for free (work related incentive award). I also would like to get a G-Shock because I like the toughness of them.

I realize these are low-end to middling watches that I own, but I like what I have and they work perfectly for my needs.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Reverso is an awe-inspiring work of art, created by an obviously gifted genius, a master at his craft.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

There are few things we can own that are such a pleasure to use as a fine mechanical watch.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Squire wrote:There are few things we can own that are such a pleasure to use as a fine mechanical watch.
My exact sentiment. I got my love for mechanical watches from my father, who really appreciated fine Swiss-made mechanical watches. My university graduation gift from him was an 18c yellow gold Vacheron Constantin pocket watch, which I still use. My wife, however, really surprised me when she gave me an 18c yellow gold Patek Philippe Calatrva automatic wrist watch with a brown and a black alligator strap on my 60th birthday. I wear this watch almost every day except when I travel, do manual labour or work out.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You are fortunate indeed Bryan.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Squire wrote:You are fortunate indeed Bryan.
I'll say. A Patek Philippe is a helluva gift!

- Murray