Motorcycles?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
navajadeafeitar

Motorcycles?

Post by navajadeafeitar »

Hi:

Just curious, but how many of you guys are into motorcycles? I'm thinking of getting a new standard (naked) bike, or sport tourer. Primary use for commuting. I have a Suzuki Volusia currently, that I'm thinking of trading in, or just keeping for weekend rides with the wife. Any recommendations?

best,

Nirmal
------------------------------------------
Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

I'm really into choppers. Not so much the touring bike, but more of the hardcore bikes. When I retire, I will own one.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
rmcnelly

Post by rmcnelly »

I ride a '93 ST1100, and my wife rides an '83 GL650 Silverwing Interstate. Both were purchased used, but the GL650 had spent it's life in a garage, with only 12,000 miles on it.

A friend has a Volusia, and has been very happy with it. I don't like the cruiser riding position personally.

The ST1100 is a fine sport tourer, and most are well taken care of. You could find a '96 or later (had an upgraded alternator) for a good price, and keep your eyes out for an ABS model. The ST1100 has an incredible amount of internet support. She's a heavy bike, but "light on her feet". Mine proved she could hustle through Deals Gap a few years ago. It is quiet, smooth, and has a super flat torque curve (some find this boring), that will pull hard in any gear.

The only problem switching to a bike like this is getting used to the weight, then getting used to the absence of the sensation of speed, since the fairing provides good coverage. You have to watch the speedo, I got nailed doing 89 in a 65 last year commuting to work on the interstate.

If I had the money, I'd be getting a new BMW 1200RT. But I can't drop $17,000 on a bike.
--Rick
Gold GEM Micromatic tapered handle
Gillette HD Adj
Pomoco Slant Bar
Stahly Live Blade
PAL Adj
navajadeafeitar

Rick:

Thanks for the informative reply. I have been looking at the ST1100 and ST1300, and I think either would be great. I got tired of the Volusia pretty quick (it's underpowered) but the wife refused to let me get a crotch rocket :wink: . Also, the Yamaha FJR1300 seems like a good bet.

The other option is to get a naked bike, a la FZ6 or FZ1, to get something a tad lighter and more 'flickable'. So many choices...

best,

Nirmal
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ok, i think you oughta contact those guys on tv that build bikes and its a father/son team. let them make you one. i dont like the crotch rockets that you hunch over for a while. if i got one, id get a harley like bike. i love that sound. something i could take on a road trip. drag a little trailer behind for suit case. ill never get one though. but who knows. i gotta get a boat and lakehouse first. had a jet ski but daughter got to the point she did not want to go to the lake. wife would not let me get a pontoon. well, if daughter gets married, i am getting one

sam
navajadeafeitar

I've tried the cruiser thing for 2 years now, and I don't think it's for me, LOL. Harleys don't do it for me... As for choppers, they're so damned expensive (atleast the ones on TV) that I'd rather buy a car for the price... When I was a teenager, I had the most fun with a 250cc Jawa, which is something most people would probably laugh at now! I had a Royal Enfield 500, but that was a disastrous experience, and I sold it after I nearly broke my shin with the kickback on the kickstart. What I lust after the most would be a brand new Yamaha RD350, but they haven't made those in many years :wink:
joefriday

Post by joefriday »

tngentleman1 wrote:well, if daughter gets married, i am getting one

sam
When your daughter gets married, you won't be able to afford one! :lol:
Neil