i need a new notebook

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

i need a new notebook

Post by Sam »

well, i got really angry over my daughters actions and the slowness of her computer (separate incidents). so, i have never done something like this so i just tossed it hard over our second story balcony onto the wood floor and it broke, scrambled the screen. told her she would have to pay half of the new computer, which is hers. she will need one for college i guess next summer when she goes off, but she wants it now. i know to get a lot of ram, 256 i think is minimum, and a fast processor and 30 gig hard drive. maybe dvd player and cd burner.

i am thinking dell.

so, what do you recommend? any websites or places with deals? any good time of the year to buy (I can wait a few months or get it now)

sam
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Personally I REALLY like Dell laptops. I have owned 3 Dell computers (2 desktops and 1 laptop). They have all lasted for years. As a matter of fact I can't even recall any of them giving me trouble or breaking down. If you're thinking Dell I would say go with that feeling.

If you're looking for somthing more along the lines of a "value" laptop I would suggest you check out HP. I bought my wife a 1.8 Ghz HP Celeron (about a year ago) for around $800 and the thing performs like a champ.

Vince
:::Vince:::
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

I would shy away from dell, sony, HP, Compaq, Toshiba

Post by clownjuggles »

It has been my experiance that most of the computers that you get in store aside from apple or a linux based notebook. they tend to be pre loaded with a bunch of crap that you don't need. What happens is the hardware and software generally don't mesh

What makes apple so good is that they make the hardware and software themselves. It always works.

They also don't become obsolete as often. I haven't had any downgrade in performance since i bought mine in october. Where as I had to upgrade 3 months after my last sony laptop which was their top of the line.

Just food for thought. I hate to see people spending money over and over for the same type of stuff.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Just an after thought you can get a decent apple laptop refurbished which from them is basically new again. Redundent I know....

Those for a laptop run from about 950-1299 for a 12" and 14" screen which is pretty economical
you can also get all teh way up to a 17" powerbook

they also willl let you purchase a computer from them and if you don't like it before 30 days take it back for a refund.
Peter
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

peter: i was thankful that you posted about the apple. since i am an attorney. most programs come with windows applications and i never even considered an apple. i was more worried about compatibility. but as i see it, my daughter will use the computer for, and in this order, song downloading, internet research and instant messaging, basic word processing for reports and maybe artwork, and then in a few years, maybe a spreadsheet of sorts.

we have an apple store near us, and i am gonna take her into it maybe this evening. anythings i need to look for, email me at memphislawyer@aol.com

also, for windows-based PC's, someone told me that the new dell laptops are not up to their usual standards and they say get toshiba or compaq.

sam
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Sam,

Also apple will run windows. All you need is the virtual PC program.
Peter

Post by Guest »

Kind of like good shaving stuff. It is very addictive once you find something that is good and doesn't let you down...
Johnnie
Shave This

Apple is the Best

Post by Johnnie »

Hey Guys,

I am all for Apple. I have had mine for 3 years, the G3 laptop. I love it and I would never buy a PC. Apple is more expensive but well worth it.

Apple's are much either to fix when they have a problem and do not require a technician who will charge you $50 an hour. They are more compatible then people think and you can download music using the program "Limewire"

If you want to work on your computer then buy a PC. If you want your computer to work for you then buy a MAC!
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Johnnie don't forget iTunes. and the iPod. Great applications.
Peter
Johnnie
Shave This

Yup

Post by Johnnie »

You are absolutely correct. There are so many cool applications with MAC's. They are very innovative.

www.apple.com
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Sam,

How did your search at the apple store go for you?

I hope things went well.
Peter

Post by Guest »

MY DAUGHTER wants to wait until she goes off to college before she gets another laptop. S he said that she did not want to junk it up downloading stuff and slowing it down. So i am going toget a new CPU for the house. Youcan tell because thekeyboard here is broken. IT is ABOUT 6 years old and slow but atleast it has a word processor for her schoolwork and can get on the net. i am gonna get her a cd burnerand at least a gig hard drive and 128 ram so we can run dsl or cable

sam

Post by Guest »

It is actually a lot tougher to junk up an apple laptop. Trust me I tried. It would be good to wait for the new imac if you were looking for a good desktop. They should be out within a month or two and will have the new G5 processors in them. They are really nice.

Post by Guest »

Sam actually the minimum i would get in a computer these days is an 80 gigabyte hard drive and 512 megabytes of ram.

Peter