My foray into the world of Method Shaving……

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Well I have been using Enchante's shaving line for most of this week now and I have to say it was mostly out of curiosity. The great thing about being a veteran wet shaver is being able to try new things to keep this all interesting. The fact that this line is devoid of any chemicals and is really just organic emollients is a relief to those interested in skin care. I found the HydroLast cream to be a bit thin at first but I always reminded myself to hit the Cube as much as needed. The shaves really were outstanding and I do think that combined with the cutting balm this is the best system out there if one wants to take full advantage of blade buffing. I think the use of a new Feather blade each day also is an advantage using the Hydrolast range. I really can't say enough though about the aftershave creams. I always liked the lighter skin food and milks from the English firms but I really think the A/S creams are fantastic-more of an aftershave facial finish (combined with a tonic). Maybe Joel or Chris F. could comment-they have been using them longer than I have. I certainly would like to add some of Enchante's range to my rotation. A lot of us already have a history using variations of the Cube and the A/S creams have become a nice discovery. I am off to find out about rumors of a new Coffee shaving stick! !Enjoy the Weekend.

Max
HLSheppard
Coffee King

Post by HLSheppard »

I'm with Max -

I purchased these products largely due to Joel's "de-mystifying" pictorial. Like many of you - I could never actually understand "the method" based on the esoteric writing styles...

Let me echo one thing: The shaves have been OUTSTANDING! To the point where I'm seriously thinking of selling my Latherking...

I have not had as slippery of a shave, or as smooth of a result with absolutely ZERO irritation. Also, as Joel stated - the cooling effect of the peppermint A/S cream was awesome.

My biggest problem has always been ingrown hairs/acne if I get baby-butt close. While that problem hasn't gone away (don't know if it ever will), it has greatly been reduced thanks to these products. This whole process has definitely been one of those "ah HAH!!" moments for me. The last time I had this big of an improvement in my shaves was when I switched to the Feather Plaena...

Consider me a convert!
Howard L. Sheppard
howardsheppard(at)sbcglobal.net

"I wish I were less awkward around strangers. I never know what to say when someone asks me who I am and what in the world I'm doing in their house." -- Andy Ihnatko
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Joel wrote:You'll notice after 2-3 weeks or so, you skin will get incredibly soft and clear.
Funny you should mention that. Recently I've come to be a little more aware of my facial complexion...as I'm heading toward 50 I'm noticing the wrinkles and the other marks of age. I recalled meeting CAR last year and how he looks much younger than his age, so I just emailed him earlier today to ask about his skin regimen. He replied that Method shaving is all he uses. Must be tough shaving around his eyes and forehead. :shock: You Method shavers out there use wet mix as a facial soap?

--Mark
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

Does CAR send out samples of this stuff? I fired off an email to him but haven't heard back in a few days.
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

clarkkent333 wrote:Does CAR send out samples of this stuff? I fired off an email to him but haven't heard back in a few days.
Strangely enough Clark, that is just the reason I don't partake of RWMS.. When I was regaining my wetshaving bones, I emailed CAR asking about the Simpsons and, in particular, the Manchurian models.. I never received a reply, I went to C&E and bought some kit. That was a couple of years ago and I really haven't looked back since.
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

Joel wrote:Mark,
A lot of the method shaving guys apply lather all over their face. I didn't, but I DID apply the cutting balm all over my face, and I do apply the tonic and a/s moisture cream all over my face, with superlative results.

He is bad with emails.... give him a call. Even then though, he is a busy guy and sometimes will not get back to you. A while back the gentlemans shop used to carry Genuine Ivory handled simpsons brushes, and I asked Charles to order one for me, since he claimed he could get any simpson.... he never called me back, and lost quite a hefty sale.
Sounds like a winner. How did you get your samples Joel?
Ken

Post by Ken »

I never had any problem about Charles calling back. He spends considerable time on the phone speaking with customers. If he fails to call back, I'm sure it is inadvertent. Just try again.

Ken
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Just a word of caution. If you are new to wetshaving Method shaving is a godsend. If you have been at this a while you may wonder what all the fuss is about. It makes the morning ritual very easy but as Joel mentioned the 'fun' factor is lacking a bit. Their a/s creams are fantastic though.

Max
Jahupnorth1

Post by Jahupnorth1 »

I have used the method shaving for a week and it is the BEST product I have ever used, great for your skin. I have been trying a new mix in my lather king and not sure if it is working great or if it is the affects of the hydolast products. I will always be experimenting with new produces and different mixes in the lather king but I will be using Charles products as the standard for other products to best.

Jeff
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I was at Enchante this afternoon buying some razors and also picked up a tub of Tabac and CAR Peppermint A/S. Charles was explaining to me how to use the A/S as a cutting balm. He also waxed poetic about the shaving revolution and made mention about how the internet has made folks all over the world aware of his products.

He asked me if I read any of the shaving forums. He then stated that the two foremost forums were methodshaving and Shavemyface. He informed me that Joel had tried his products and liked them.

I thought it was nice of him to acknowledge this forum and the exposure he has received from it.

BTW, I noticed that Charles has developed a shampoo line.
gage0921

Post by gage0921 »

Speaking of things charles id developing I cant wait to get his new brush he is coming out with. When I was looking for a brush he offered to sell me the prototype if I wanted but said if I waited I would receive a much nicer looking product. Weighted and balanced along with a compresion chamber.....sounds neat!
Sean
edgebreakdown

Post by edgebreakdown »

Thanks for the post Joel,
I split my sides reading section 1 "the rant" the best laugh I've had reading a post on SMF. The whole thing seems a little complicated to me, but horses for courses and there seems little doubt that it does deliver results.
BTW I was in the British Army for a while and we had a well worn saying, "Bullshit baffles brains!" nuff said.

Alasdair
Just one one more stroke on the hone and it will be perfect....... Oh $****
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

edgebreakdown wrote:Thanks for the post Joel,
I split my sides reading section 1 "the rant" the best laugh I've had reading a post on SMF. The whole thing seems a little complicated to me, but horses for courses and there seems little doubt that it does deliver results.
BTW I was in the British Army for a while and we had a well worn saying, "Bullshit baffles brains!" nuff said.

Alasdair
Strangely enough, seems like all of the miltaries have something along that line.. We used to say, "If you can't dazzle them with your footwork, baffle them with your bullsh_t!"
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Let's not forget the other adage - "money talks, bulshit walks".

John
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
gage0921

Post by gage0921 »

Just so you guys know charles has samples of his aftershave balm wich by the way is absolutly amazing.
Sean
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Sean, Great to see an A/S balm so good. A hell of a facial after the morning ritual. A really high end item.

Max
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Question: For those of you that have tried RWSM what is the one product within the line that you could not do without?

Observation: Austin wrote: "Charles was explaining to me how to use the A/S as a cutting balm. He also waxed poetic about the shaving revolution and made mention about how the internet has made folks all over the world aware of his products.":bull
Last edited by Hugo on Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Hugo wrote:Question: For those of you that have tried RWSM what is the one product within the line that you could not do without?

Observation: Austin wrote: "Charles was explaining to me how to use the A/S as a cutting balm. He also waxed poetic about the shaving revolution and made mention about how the internet has made folks all over the world aware of his products." ] :bull
I like their balms. As far as what product I could not do without, the answer is I could do without any of them. They are fine products but there are others that are comparable.
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Austin,
I guess what would be the one product within his line that stands out? I am thinking about a purchase (yes, even a cynic like myself is curious now), but cannot/will not buy the entire line.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Buy the Peppermint Balm. I would send you a sample but I sent it to clarkkent.