My foray into the world of Method Shaving……

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Thanks for the review Joel. Personally, I find the whole method system tedious. I like to keep my shave time simple with fewer steps. I have sampled the CR classic balm and the peppermint balm and I agree that they are very good. I will probably buy the peppermint balm next time I am at CRs shop.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

great review but i dont think i have time to go through all of that every morning. it seems that some of the products are worth a shot but some of the other are way too expensive.

j
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Thanks a lot Joel for taking the time to use the Method and post an excellent review, pics and explanation!!! of the whole process.

It would have been nice if this type of pictorial and step-by-step could have been done a long time ago.... it may have avoided some unkind comments (back and forth) and maybe more gents would have tried RMWS before now.

The prices, for me are totally out of reach; especially when dollar exchange, etc are factored in. It sure looks like it works well though and your opinion is valued.

It's great to see it in action.

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Joel,

I have read the Shaving Graces essays several times and while I understood things about the 'method' I could never figure out what actually is the 'method'. Here you've layed it out in understandable steps as well as your informative commentary. For this I thank you. Maybe someday when I have more time to shave than I do now I will give it a try now that I know what it is.

Thanks again,
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

growler

Post by growler »

It does look awfully hard on the poor badger, though.
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Joel,

A couple of points from someone who has practiced a self customized version of the RMWS for nearly three years. I have used, at one time or another, all of CR's products with the exception of the paste and I thought your impressions were spot on at least with my own.

Regarding the after shave moisturizing creams, the price for a 2 oz. jar I think frightens many prospective customers away; not only until you use them do you realize that they are in fact a bargain. I'm eight months into my peppermint jar and don't doubt that there is at least four more months worth left. I agree, it is a must have item.

I use the shave cube daily but as I mix my lather in a bowl I fill my bowl with about two inches of very hot water and put the cube in there; you only lather on of the six faces of the cube anyway and this method increases the life of the cube.

While I enjoy the cutting balm I find I can achieve similar results just by using my lather mix by itself.

I have yet to try his shaving paste but as I am very satisfied with my curent supplies I will wait untill I have to replace something prior to purchasing any.

Did you use his cutting forms? I always cut form 1 twice and then a form that combines his #2 and #3 form followed by a T&C. Works quite well for me.

Thank you very much for the review, hopefully more people will realize just how simple the whole thing is. In the past most criticism of CR has been much more about his prose than his methodology. I would have to believe that the simplification of the process would only help his business. If I were a retailer I would be more concerned with sales volume than customer exclusivity. Your review can only help.

John
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Great review, Joel!
--Pat Thayer
Living well is the best revenge.
illini1963

Post by illini1963 »

Great review! You sure can write.

Charles Roberts cured me of 40 years of shaving bumps, and spent hours with me on the phone. He's a true gentleman.

I've modified the Method to my very own routine, but I still follow the basics: preparation, water, soap and cream, and a sharp razor that's used with minimal or no pressure. Sometimes that razor is a DE, a str8, or a Feather depending upon my mood and patience.

Again, Joel, thanks for the review!

Joel K
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Did you use his cutting forms? I always cut form 1 twice and then a form that combines his #2 and #3 form followed by a T&C. Works quite well for me.
Where can one find out, in relatively simple terms, more about these forms?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

blueasajewel wrote:
Where can one find out, in relatively simple terms, more about these forms?
Form 1, a North to South
Form 2 and 3, the Chevron Cuts, ear to chin (2) and Nose to end of jawbone(3). Actually a parallel series of passes in those general directions. Upper lip and chin are always N-S whether form 1, 2 0r 3.
I believe there may be some descriptive material on the Enchante web site also. (Not as terse as my description)
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Great review as usual, Joel.

To me it sounds like lots of hocus-pocus to sell what appear to be good products already. Why couldn't one get equivalent results by priming a wet brush on the cube in a normal manner, dumping the cream and hydrolast in a bowl and whipping it up? I bet you would get the same results without worrying about "locking the breach", taking your aggressions out on the brush, etc.

-Scotto
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Joel, In my quick excitement to order I noticed I forgot the spray tonic. Can one use the aftershave moisturizing cream without the tonic until the next order or do they work hand in hand? Pat?

Max
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Max,

Yes, you can use the balm without the spray tonic but it's oh so much nicer with it -- especially with the Peppermint because it extends the cooling effect. If you're of a mind -- call Enchante' and ask them to add it to your order -- Charles and Jean are great people to talk to.
--Pat Thayer
Living well is the best revenge.
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Thanks Pat. Max
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

The Cube – Different from Marseilles olive oil soap. Actually smells like feces when just opened, however the scent dissipates and can be overpowered with enough shaving cream. Works incredibly well.
OMG are you serious? Can't CR add something to this to enhance the scent? I wouldn't even consider putting this soap on my face if it smelled like that!

The tonic seems promising. I might give that a shot.

Does anyone have the ingrediets to the hydrolast paste or the moisture creams? I'm somewhat hesitant to use creams without knowing what's in them.

To be honest I have mixed feelings about all this RMWS stuff. Haven't quite made up my mind yet but looks good so far based on Joel's review.
:::Vince:::
shriram

Forms/NS pass

Post by shriram »

One question

Typically I have heard that N-S approximates with the grain cutting, but is not exact.

When you tried it did you stick with N-S for all areas irrespective of grain direction?

Shri

PS. For me N-S is direction of growith (pretty much) except at bottom of neck where grain is S-N.
romicsteve

Post by romicsteve »

I've used the cube for almost a year, and have never noticed an unpleasant odor.
- Steve
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Joel, Well done. Your piece either reinforced, or further clarified several points that I've thought, or in some cases, posted, over the last couple of years. 1) of course RMWS works, and works well. People aren't THAT gullible, and in any case, why wouldn't it?, as it's a more involved variant of traditional wet brush shaving. But, one the other hand, it's no 'better' or more effective then other experianced shavers personal 'methods', as turned out to be the case with yourself. 2) Some of the 'necessary' equipment, isn't really all that necessary, brushes especially. While some RMWS shavers have argued with me that these very specific, and very expensive brushes are absolutely essential, I've noticed that these are often gents whose only experiance with really good brushes, were with the 'method' brushes they were using. Several gents with wider experiance kind of hemmed and hawed when I posed this question, even CR himself, really. I never saw any reason why any reasonably sized, high quality brush would not serve, and you made the same point, after trying RMWS with several different brushes. This is important, because it means that RMWS is available to one, even if a $400-$600 brush is out of the question. 3) The process itself is not that esoteric or complicated. Because of my profession, I guess, I was able to cut through all the verbiage, and figure it out from the written material, but the way the material was/is written did not make it as easy as it might have been, that's for sure. I've experimented a bit with it myself ( pre-hydrolast paste ). Your photos were of immense help, I'm sure, in making it plain for many. 4) RMWS is unquestionably a way for those who do not know how to shave properly, or are having ongoing problems, to learn how to do a really good job, to learn it quickly, and get all products and consistant guidance from one source, further simplifying it. It is not intended as a replacement, necessarily, for those who already shave very well. 5) Charles Roberts is an excellent, and very knowledgeable chap, his writing often does him a disservice, or is misleading. 6) RMWS, practiced in the usual manner, is messy as all hell! Again, nice job, Joel. Regards, Gordon
frederick

Post by frederick »

Joel nice job on your review. However, all that product on a face for what this guy call the ultimate shave is a bit much. I am not even sure putting that much stuff on any face could be possible absorbed and does anything. Additionally, I am not sure how healthy it is to load up so many products in a 15 minute time frame. Shaving should be fun and enjoyable. I went to the methodshaving site and it is to me a cult. I am glad we have this site and people seem to have an open mind and are allowed to speak there piece. CAR products to me are like a McDonalds lets just super size the shaving experience and put on as much product as possible.

Let’s just shave for what it is!

A shaver!
HEWSINATOR

Post by HEWSINATOR »

I thought I would take the time to say thanks for the great post, like the others. I have tried to read the essays (3 or 4 times) and like you (it seems) found it convoluted, pompous, pretentious, etc... and just gave up. And I have a 4.0 average in business school, for real. You will not find a Harvard Business Review article written like this, and I find that the essays a are a barrier to entry that just pissed me off, to be blunt.

So again, thank you for taking the time to put this into "lay" terms.

I just don't get the "Shaving Graces", it would seem as if posting these on the internet, or publishing/making them public in any manner, would be to create a following and pass the word as much as possible. But more so, it seems as if the effect is to turn people off of the process, and give those that make it through the writings bragging rights, or a sense of elite.

Sorry, that was my rant,