HDR photography

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

This whole discussion is an old one, as there was similar controversy between early photographry and painting. It took some time to define photography as its own artistic genre, and we're going through that all over again with digital imaging. Keep in mind that quite a bit of image manipulation takes place normally in the traditional wet darkroom.

Digital imaging offers tremendous potential to the artist, from conception to execution of an image, and I think this is a good thing. I see the problem in the clash between digital capability and traditional concepts of photography.

One reason I like slides is because they show elegantly what was achieved in-camera. When I see a digital image, I still like to know what was achieved in-camera and what was created in-computer.

Perhaps during this period of transition, some sort of distinction could be drawn between what we call "photography" and what we could call "digital imaging." Ultimately, either way, these two concepts would merge into one.

In the meantime, I'm grateful that both film and digital capture are still available to each of us according to our personal preference.

- Murray
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

I have been really impressed with your photography, and I thank you for the images you have shared with us.

I have a closet-full of 35mm and medium format cameras from the 1960s to the pre-autofocus 1980s. To be sure, there are things I like about film. I love slides, and I would still like to get a medium format projector. What digital offers me, so far, is a great way to get prints from slides.
One day, when I’m rich and settled, I’ll build my own darkroom and get a medium format. Thank you for your nice comment. I appreciate it.
I think there should be a difference between photography and CGI.
As I said in my opening post, I think the two will merge in the near future (whether I like it or not).
with digital one has ultimate freedom (in a preverse sense) to modify and render the image into something completely different than the original. My concern is not for effiency or evolution, rather that an image loses it "soul" when you download it into photosoap and with three clicks make it "better", I think it loses something. I am not afraid of technology, nor am I nostalgic. I just dont think digital modification is photography.
I perfectly understand your position, though I think it requires more than three clicks to make a photo better. Someone who lacks notions of composition, optics and lighting will produce horrible photographs, either with a digital or film camera. Finally, it is my opinion digital modification is only half of digital photography, like developing film is half of film photography. Both allow to modify raw files or slides and ultimately to express the photographer’s interpretation of a picture.

Again, not contesting your opinion, I’m merely sounding out everybody’s opinion.
vcowman

Post by vcowman »

I think you are talanted and make beautiful images. I was not trying to be disrecpectful when I said "3 clicks", I am sure it take a lot of time an effort. However, I think it is something beyond photography.
Nik In San Diego
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Don’t worry, I’m not offended at all. It takes a lot to offend me. I’m just curious because I myself have gone through many stages of reflection as to what digital photography is.
Ron Gallant

Post by Ron Gallant »

vcowman wrote:I think there should be a difference between photography and CGI. Thats what I hate.

Sure, you can push and pull on your processing and mess around with different exposures, but with digital one has ultimate freedom (in a preverse sense) to modify and render the image into something completely different than the original. My concern is not for effiency or evolution, rather that an image loses it "soul" when you download it into photosoap and with three clicks make it "better", I think it loses something. I am not afraid of technology, nor am I nostalgic. I just dont think digital modification is photography.
I assure you the great painters thought the same of photography. One click and all of the work is done. No hands on from the artist. Just a machine doing the work. We know now it takes a great artist to envision the final outcome. It's not the tools, it's how they are used. IMHO of course.
Merkur Progress, Gillette Fatboy, Clauss Straight
Vulfix #2233 Super Badger
Castle Forbes Lavendar, Proraso (Red)